Aesthetic theory, abstract art and Lawrence Carroll
- David Carrier.
- New York : Bloomsbury Academic, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xv, 208 pages, 4 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Aesthetics and contemporary art
- Carrier, David, 1944- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments 1. What is a work of art? 2. What is a painting? 3. The Art World 4. Lawrence Carroll Enters the Art World 5. Why Painting's History Matters 6. An Art History Made for and by Artists 7. Interpreting Lawrence Carroll's Artworks 8. Why Lawrence Carroll's Paintings Matter Notes Lawrence Carroll: Selected Exhibitions Lawrence Carroll: Selected Collections Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781350009561 20181022
- Publisher's Summary
- Boldly developing the central traditions of American modernist abstraction, Lawrence Carroll's paintings engage with a fundamental issue of aesthetic theory, the nature of the medium of painting, in highly original, frequently extraordinarily successful ways. Aesthetic Theory, Abstract Art, and Lawrence Carroll explains how he understands the medium of painting; shows what his art says about the identity of painting as an art; discusses the place of his paintings in the development of abstraction; and, finally, offers an interpretation of his art. The first monograph devoted to him, this philosophical commentary employs the resources of analytic aesthetics. Art historians trace the development of art, explaining how what came earlier yields to what comes later. Taking for granted that the artifacts they describe are artworks, art historians place them within the history of art. Philosophical art writers define art, explain why it has a history and identify its meaning. Pursuing that goal, Aesthetic Theory, Abstract Art, and Lawrence Carroll roams freely across art history, focused at some points on the story of old master painting and sometimes on the history of modernism, but looking also to contemporary art, in order to provide the fullest possible philosophical perspective on Carroll's work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781350009561 20181022
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781350009561 (hardback)
- 1350009563 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: