African testimony in the movement for Congo reform : the burden of proof
- Robert Burroughs.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 186 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Routledge studies in the modern history of Africa.
- Burroughs, Robert M., 1980- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 169-180) and index.
- List of Figures Acknowledgements Note on Place Names Map Introduction: The Burden of Proof 1. Humanitarianism and Diplomacy: West African Migrants in the Congo Free State (c.1890-1903) 2. Behind the Casement Report (1903-4): Guides, Interpreters, and Interviewees 3. Before the Commission of Inquiry (1904-5): Travellers and Testifiers 4. The Silencing of Witnesses: The Stannard Trial (1906) and the Sheppard Trial (1909) 5. `Bringing hands to the English': Injured Bodies as Evidence Conclusion: A Humanitarian History from Below Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138631694 20181029
- Publisher's Summary
- The humanitarian movement against Leopold's violent colonisation of the Congo emerged out of Europe, but it depended at every turn on African input. Individuals and groups from throughout the upper Congo River basin undertook journeys of daring and self-sacrifice to provide evidence of atrocities for the colonial authorities, missionaries, and international investigators. Combining archive research with attention to recent debates on the relation between imperialism and humanitarianism, on trauma, witnessing and postcolonial studies, and on the recovery of colonial archives, this book examines the conditions in which colonised peoples were able to speak about their subjection, and those in which attempts at testimony were thwarted. Robert Burroughs makes a major intervention by identifying African agency and input as a key factor in the Congo atrocities debate. This is an important and unique book in African history, imperial and colonial history, and humanitarian history.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138631694 20181029
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge studies in the modern history of Africa
- 9781138631694 (hardcover)
- 1138631698 (hardcover)
- 9781315208664 (electronic book)
- 1315208660 (electronic book)
- 9781351804318 (mobipocket)
- 1351804316 (mobipocket)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: