British Pakistani boys, education and the role of religion : in the land of the Trojan horse
- Karamat Iqbal.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vii, 212 pages ; 24 cm.
- Routledge research in educational equality and diversity.
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3501 .P34 I63 2019||Unknown|
- Iqbal, Karamat, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1: Introduction Chapter 2: In the Land of the Trojan Horse Chapter 3: A Note on the Research Chapter 4: Meaning and Importance of Education for Pakistanis Chapter 5: The Gaps in Education Chapter 6: A Diverse Teaching Workforce Chapter 7: Teacher Understanding of Pakistani Pupils Chapter 8: Culturally Responsive Education for Pakistani Students.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138496620 20181227
- Publisher's Summary
- British Pakistani children are the second largest ethnic group in UK schools, yet little of their education and wider needs have been researched. British Pakistani Boys, Education and the Role of Religion seeks to rectify this, by investigating the educational achievement of British Pakistani boys and the importance of education both in the Pakistani community and in the wider religion of Islam. The book draws on research undertaken by the author in three British state secondary schools, to respond to the national policy on the education of ethnic minority children. It considers the meaning of education for Pakistanis, where religion plays an integral role, the gaps in education as well as the issue of representation - in governance and in the teaching workforce. The author concludes by discussing the possibility of responsive education better meeting the needs of Pakistani children by integrating Islamic religious education and education of the world. British Pakistani Boys, Education and the Role of Religion will be vital reading for academics and both undergraduate and postgraduate students in the fields of Education and Sociology and specifically those studying inclusion, equality and diversity, or Asian, Muslim or Pakistani education. It would also appeal to education practitioners, policy makers and community activists.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138496620 20181227
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge research in educational equality and diversity
- 9781138496620 hardcover
- 1138496626 hardcover
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: