- Durs Grünbein.
- Karlsruhe : [Veronika Schäpers], Dezember 2017.
- Physical description
- 1 volume in portfolio : color illustration ; 18 x 41 cm, in case 19 x 41 cm + 1 print (13 x 46 cm in portfolio 17 x 47 cm)
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|N7433.4 .S32 W45 2017 FF||In-library use|
- "Durs Grünbein’s poem “Weiße Verben” is a response to his first encounter with Kazimir Malevich’s painting “Suprematist Composition: White on White” in the New York Museum of Modern Art. Expecting to experience a revelation upon seeing the icon of modern painting, he instead describes his first reaction as a smile, which is quickly replaced by a sense of disappointment. The poem is executed as a watermark and looks ghostly on the white mould-made paper. The white page is contrasted with a colored graphic element, which presents the poem using a graphemic color code developed by the synesthete Eva-Maria Bolz. Each line of color stands for one letter in the text. Each of these two sheets is covered by 10 pages, which are printed with excerpts from Malevich’s manifestos “The Artist” and “Contemporary Art.” The manifesto is screen printed as a negative white text on transparent paper; like the watermark, it is most easily read by holding it up to the light or placing a dark page underneath it. The text layout is based on Strichtarn, a camouflage pattern used in the first half of the 20th century. Watermark moulded in manila hemp, Inkjet printed on kozo-paper, negative screen print on EnDuro Ice-translucent paper, Letterpress on abaca-paper. 2-piece acrylic box with title. 16 x 40.5 cm Edition: 40 copies with Arabic numbering and 6 copies with Roman numbering. Karlsruhe, December 2017."--Artist's website http://www.veronikaschaepers.net/en/books_weisse_verben/
- Publication date
- Title from case; imprint from colophon.
- Volume issued in 2-piece acrylic box.
- Accompanying portfolio with print.
- "Idee und Gestaltung / Veronika Schäpers ... synästhetische Umsetzung / Eva-Maria Bolz.Texte 'Der Künstler' und 'Die zeitgenössische Kunst' / Kazimir Malewič aus: Kazimir Malewič / Gott ist nicht gestürzt! übersetzt von Thomas Kleinbub und Aage A. Hansen-Löve, Carl Hanser Verlag, 2004. Wasserzeichen / Gangolf Ulbricht. Buchdruck, Siebdruck und Digitaldruck auf Abaca-Papier, Hanf-Papier und EnDuro Ice ; Schuber mit Siebdruck aus Acryl. Auflage / 40 arabisch nummerierte Exemplare, 6 römisch nummerierte Exemplare"--Colophon.
- Action note
- Cons. Trans. #6974.
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 1: Number 16 of 40; signed by artist, poet, and book designers; accompanying print inscribed by the artist to Roberto Trujillo.
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: