New directions in Africa-China studies
- edited by Chris Alden and Daniel Large.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 348 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Studying Africa and China / Chris Alden and Daniel Large
- From China in Africa to global African studies.
- From field work to academic field : personal reflections on China-Africa research / George T. Yu
- African studies in China in the twenty-first century : a historiographical survey / Li Anshan
- Themes and thoughts in Africanists' discourse about China and Africa / Kweku Ampiah
- Media as a site of contestation in China-Africa relations / Cobus van Staden and Yu-shan Wu
- "China in Africa" in the Anthropocene : a discourse of divergence in a converging world / Ross Anthony
- Doing ethnography beyond China : the ethic of the ignorant foreigner / Gabriel Bamana
- Global African studies and locating China / Jamie Monson
- Views from downstairs : ethnography, identity and agency.
- Chinese peanuts and Chinese machinga : the use and abuse of a rumour in Dar es Salaam (and ethnographic writing) / Derek Sheridan
- Reflections on the role of race in China-Africa relations / T. Tu Huynh and Yoon Jung Park
- Kenyan agency in Kenya-China relations : contestation, cooperation and passivity / Maddalena Procopio
- Bureaucratic agency and power asymmetry in Benin-China relations / Folashadé Soulé-Kohndou
- Dependency and underdevelopment : the case of the special economic zone in Mauritius / Honita Cowaloosur and Ian Taylor
- Ivory trails : divergent values of ivory and elephants in Africa and Asia / Stephanie Rupp.
- Views from upstairs : elites, policy and political economy.
- Neo-patrimonialism and extraversion in China's relations with Angola and Mozambique : is Beijing making a difference? / Ana Cristina Alves and Sergio Chichava
- Between resource extraction and industrializing Africa / Mzukisi Qobo and Garth le Pere
- A Chinese model for Africa : problem-solving, learning and limits / Chris Alden
- New structural economics : a first attempt at theoretical reflection on China-Africa engagement and its limitations / Tang Xiaoyang
- China, Africa and global economic transformation / Alvin Camba and Ho-fung Hong
- China and African security / Lina Benabdallah and Daniel Large
- Conclusion / Chris Alden and Daniel Large.
- Publisher's Summary
- Interest in China and Africa is growing exponentially. Taking a step back from the `events-driven' reactions characterizing much coverage, this timely book reflects more deeply on questions concerning how this subject has been, is being and can be studied. It offers a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary and authoritative contribution to Africa-China studies. Its diverse chapters explore key current research themes and debates, such as agency, media, race, ivory, development or security, using a variety of case studies from Benin, Kenya and Tanzania, to Angola, Mozambique and Mauritius. Looking back, it explores the evolution of studies about Africa and China. Looking forward, it explores alternative, future possibilities for a complex and constantly evolving subject. Showcasing a range of perspectives by leading and emerging scholars, New Directions in Africa-China Studies is an essential resource for students and scholars of Africa and China relations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138714670 20180917
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- New directions in Africa China studies
- 9781138714632 (hardcover)
- 1138714631 (hardcover)
- 9781138714670 (paperback)
- 1138714674 (paperback)
- 9781315162461 (electronic book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: