African political activism in postcolonial France : state surveillance and social welfare
- Gillian Glaes.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxiv, 234 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Routledge global 1960s and 1970s.
- Glaes, Gillian, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 205-226) and index.
- Contents List of Figures Preface: The Saint Denis Riot Acknowledgments Introduction 1: Immigrant Politics and The Union generale de Travailleurs senegalais en France (UGTSF) 2: Political Mobilization and Collective Action: Ivry-sur-Seine and the African Immigrant Rent Strikes of the 1960s and 1970s 3: From Private Tragedy to Cause Celebre: Five Deaths in Aubervilliers 4: Policing the Post-Colonial Order 5: Tuberculosis, Disease, Social Welfare Initiatives, and the Centre Bossuet 6: The Desire to Disperse: the Anti-Slum Campaign Conclusion Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138044005 20181105
- Publisher's Summary
- African Political Activism in Postcolonial France engages with several areas of scholarly inquiry, ranging from the study of immigrants to the investigation of surveillance and the legacy of colonialism. Within migration studies, many important analyses have focused on integration, yielding critical contributions to our understanding of immigration and identity. This work moves in a different direction. Factoring in the dynamics of colonialism, decolonization, and their effect on immigrant political activism and state policy in the postcolonial, Cold War era reveals that immigrants from francophone Sub-Saharan Africa were key players who shaped the development of public policy toward immigrants. Through this approach, we can understand how republicanism, colonial ideology, immigration policy, and immigrant political activism intersected in the post-colonial era, shaping the reception of African workers and affecting their lives and experiences in France.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138044005 20181105
- West Africans > Political activity > France > History > 20th century.
- Immigrants > Political activity > France > History > 20th century.
- West Africans > France > Social conditions.
- Immigrants > France > Social conditions.
- France > Emigration and immigration > History > 20th century.
- Africa, West > Emigration and immigration > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- The Routledge global 1960s and 1970s series
- 9781138044005 (hardback ; alkaline paper)
- 1138044008 (hardback ; alkaline paper)
- 9781315172699 (e-book ; alk. paper)
- 9781351698627 (ePub ebook)
- 9781351698634 (PDF ebook)
- 9781351698610 (Mobipocket ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: