Southern English varieties then and now
- edited by Laura Wright.
- Berlin : De Gruyter Mouton, 
- Physical description
- 296 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Topics in English linguistics ; 100.
- Wright, Laura, 1961- editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Laura Wright
- Dialect formation and dialect change in the industrial revolution : British vernacular English in the nineteenth century / Paul Kerswill
- The dialect of the Isles of Scilly : Exploring the relationship between language production and language perception in a Southern insular variety / Emma Moore and Chris Montgomery
- A new dialect for a new village : Evidence for koinéization in East Kent / David Hornsby
- The clergyman and the dialect speaker : Some Sussex examples of a nineteenth century research tradition / Jonathan Roper
- I'll git the milk time you bile the kittle do you oon't get no tea yit no coffee more oon't l : Phonetic erosion and grammaticalisation in East Anglian conjunction-formation / Peter Trudgill
- Emphatic "yes" and "no" in Eastern English : jearse and dow / Stephen Howe
- Steps towards characterizing Bristolian / Richard Coates
- 'I don't think I have an accent' : Exploring varieties of southern English at the British Library / Jonnie Robinson
- The historical geographical distribution of periphrastic do in southern dialects / Juhani Klemola
Most of the world's Extraterritorial Englishes stem historically from southern English dialects - Southern England having been the most densely-habited part of the country. However, the dialects of Southern England remain under-studied. The papers in this volume consider both diachronic and synchronic aspects of the dialects of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Kent, Sussex, Dorset, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, Gloucestershire and the Isles of Scilly.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Topics in English linguistics, 1434-3452 ; volume 100
- 9783110575217 (hd.bd.)
- 3110575213 (hd.bd.)
- 9783110577549 (PDF)
- 9783110575316 (ePub : online)
Browse related items
Start at call number: