Riverine : a memoir from anywhere but here
- Angela Palm.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota : Graywolf Press, 
- Physical description
- 253 pages ; 21 cm
- Palm, Angela, author.
- Part I. Water
- Map of home
- An arsenal of sand
- This movable state
- DIY for the faithless
- Part II. Fields
- Map of corn
- The regulars
- Dispatches from anywhere but here
- The baddest men on the planet
- Part III. Mountains
- On Robert Frost's lawn
- Map of our hands
- Life on the installment plan.
- "Angela Palm grew up in a place not marked on the map, her house set on the banks of a river that had been straightened to make way for farmland. Every year, the Kankakee River in rural Indiana flooded and returned to its old course while the residents sandbagged their homes against the rising water. From her bedroom window, Palm watched the neighbor boy and loved him in secret, imagining a life with him even as she longed for a future that held more than a job at the neighborhood bar. For Palm, caught in this landscape of flood and drought, escape was a continually receding hope. Though she did escape, as an adult Palm finds herself drawn back, like the river, to her origins. But this means more than just recalling vibrant, complicated memories of the place that shaped her, or trying to understand the family that raised her. It means visiting the prison where the boy that she loved is serving a life sentence for a brutal murder. It means trying to chart, through the mesmerizing, interconnected essays of Riverine, what happens when a single event forces the path of her life off course"--Publisher description.
- Palm, Angela > Childhood and youth.
- Palm, Angela > Relations with men.
- Palm, Angela.
- Girls > Indiana > Demotte > Biography.
- Boys > Indiana > Demotte > Biography.
- Friendship in children > Indiana > Demotte.
- Male prisoners > Indiana > Biography.
- Demotte (Ind.) > Biography.
- Kankakee River Region (Ind. and Ill.) > Biography.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY > General.
- Friendship in children.
- Male prisoners.
- Man-woman relationships.
- Indiana > Demotte.
- Publication date
- Finalist for the 2018 William Saroyan International Prize for Writing in nonfiction.
- 9781555977467 (alkaline paper)
- 1555977464 (alkaline paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: