Complex ecology : foundational perspectives on dynamic approaches to ecology and conservation
- edited by Charles G. Curtin, Timothy F.H. Allen.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 574 pages ; 25 cm
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QH540.5 .C65 2018||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword-- Acknowledgements-- Introduction-- 1. Aggregation in complex systems-- 2. Diversity in ecology and conservation-- 3. The role of flows of energy and resources in structuring social and ecological systems-- 4. Non-linearity in natural, social, and physical systems-- 5. Applied implications and subversive science-- Epilogue.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781108416078 20180813
- Publisher's Summary
- From climate change to species extinction, humanity is confronted with an increasing array of societal and environmental challenges that defy simple quantifiable solutions. Complexity-based ecology provides a new paradigm for ecologists and conservationists keen to embrace the uncertainty that is pressed upon us. This book presents key research papers chosen by some sixty scholars from various continents, across a diverse span of sub-disciplines. The papers are set alongside first person commentary from many of the seminal voices involved, offering unprecedented access to experts' viewpoints. The works assembled also shed light on the process of science in general, showing how the shifting of wider perspectives allows for new ideas to take hold. Ideal for undergraduate and advanced students of ecology and conservation, their educators and those working across allied fields, this is the first book of its kind to focus on complexity-based approaches and provides a benchmark for future collected volumes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781108416078 20180813
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781108402606 paperback alkaline paper
- 1108402607 paperback alkaline paper
- 9781108416078 hardcover alkaline paper
- 1108416071 hardcover alkaline paper
Browse related items
Start at call number: