Compound histories : materials, governance, and production, 1760-1840
- edited by Lissa L. Roberts, Simon Werrett.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 387 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), color maps ; 25 cm.
- Cultural dynamics of science, 2351-9932 ; volume 2
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 355-387).
- Acknowledgments List of Illustrations Notes on Contributors
- Introduction: "A More Intimate Acquaintance" Lissa Roberts and Simon Werrett
- Part 1: Materials and Material Objects
- 1 Household Oeconomy and Chemical Inquiry Simon Werrett
- 2 The Case of Coal Lissa Roberts and Joppe van Driel
- 3 Capturing the Invisible: Heat, Steam and Gases in France and Great Britain, 1750-1800 Marie Thebaud-Sorger
- 4 Spreading the Revolution: Guyton's Fumigating Machine in Spain. Politics, Technology, and Material Culture (1796-1808) Elena Serrano
- 5 Arsenic in France. The Cultures of Poison During the First Half of the Nineteenth Century Jose Ramon Bertomeu Sanchez
- Part 2: Chemical Governance and the Governance of Chemistry
- 6 Relations between the State and the Chemical Industry in France, 1760-1800: The Case of Ceruse Christine Lehman
- 7 Between Industry and the Environment: Chemical Governance in France, 1770-1830 Thomas Le Roux
- 8 Renegotiating Debt: Chemical Governance and Money in the Early Nineteenth-Century Dutch Empire Andreas Weber
- 9 How to Govern Chemical Courses. The Case of the Paris Ecole de pharmacie During Vauquelin's Direction, 1803-1829 Sacha Tomic
- Part 3: Revisiting the History of Production
- 10 Teaching Chemistry in the French Revolution: Pedagogy, Materials and Politics Bernadette Bensaude Vincent
- 11 The Subversive Humphry Davy: Aristocracy and Establishing Chemical Research Laboratories in Late Eighteenth- and Early Nineteenth-Century England Frank A.J.L. James
- 12 Wholesale Pharmaceutical Manufacturing in London, c.1760 - c.1840: Sites, Production and Networks Anna Simmons
- 13 Chemical Glasgow and its Entrepreneurs, 1760-1860 John R.R. Christie
- 14 Relations between Industry and Academe in Scotland, and the Case of Dyeing:
- 1760 to
- 1840 Robert G.W. Anderson
- Bibliography of Secondary Sources.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Compound Histories: Materials, Governance and Production, 1760-1840 offers a new view of the period during which Europe took on its modern character and globally dominant position. By exploring the intertwined realms of production, governance and materials, it places chemists and chemistry at the center of processes most closely identified with the construction of the modern world. This includes the interactive intensification of material and knowledge production; the growth and management of consumption; environmental changes, regulation of materials, markets, landscapes and societies; and practices embodied in political economy. Rather than emphasize revolutionary breaks and the primacy of innovation-driven change, the volume highlights the continuities and accumulation of incremental changes that framed historical development. Contributors are: Robert G.W. Anderson, Bernadette Bensaude Vincent, Jose Ramon Bertomeu Sanchez, John R.R. Christie, Joppe van Driel, Frank A.J.L. James, Christine Lehman, Lissa L. Roberts, Thomas le Roux, Elena Serrano, Anna Simmons, Marie Thebaud-Sorger, Sacha Tomic, Andreas Weber, Simon Werrett.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Chemical engineering > France > History > 18th century.
- Chemical engineering > France > History > 19th century.
- Chemical engineering > Great Britain > History > 18th century.
- Chemical engineering > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Chemical engineering > Europe > History > 18th century.
- Chemical engineering > Europe > History > 19th century.
- Chemistry, Technical > France > History > 18th century.
- Chemistry, Technical > France > History > 19th century.
- Chemistry, Technical > Great Britain > History > 18th century.
- Chemistry, Technical > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Chemistry, Technical > Europe > History > 18th century.
- Chemistry, Technical > Europe > History > 19th century.
- Chemistry > France > History > 18th century.
- Chemistry > France > History > 19th century.
- Chemistry > Great Britain > History > 18th century.
- Chemistry > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Chemistry > Europe > History > 18th century.
- Chemistry > Europe > History > 19th century.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9789004325494 (hardcover alkaline paper)
- 9004325492 (hardcover alkaline paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: