Emotions, everyday life and sociology
- edited by Michael Hviid Jacobsen.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- ix, 250 pages ; 25 cm.
- Classical and contemporary social theory.
- Jacobsen, Michael Hviid, 1971- editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword and Acknowledgements
- List of Contributors
- Introduction: Emotions, Emotions, Everywhere Emotions! - On Emotions, Everyday Life and Sociology (Michael Hviid Jacobsen)
- 1. Trust - What Is It and Why Do We Need It? (Paul R. Ward)
- 2. Loyalty - The Emotion of Future Expectation, Felt Now, Based on the Past (James M.) Connor
- 3. Dignity - An Exploration of Dignity's Role and Meaning in Daily Life (Barbara A. Misztal)
- 4. Compassion - Conflicted Social Feeling and the Calling to Care (Iain Wilkinson)
- 5. Courage - It's Not All About Overcoming Fear (Amir B. Marvasti)
- 6. Excitement - Risk and Authentic Emotion (Stephen Lyng)
- 7. Embarrassment - Experiencing Awkward Self-Awareness in Everyday Life (Michael Hviid Jacobsen and Soren Kristiansen)
- 8. Shyness - Self-Consciously Perceived Relative Social Incompetence (Susie Scott)
- 9. Envy - Hostility Towards Superiors (Gordon Clanton)
- 10. Guilt - What's So Good about Feeling Bad about Yourself? (Vessela Misheva)
- 11. Anger - An Emotion of Intent and of Desire for Change in Relationships
- (Keith Oatley and Jennifer M. Jenkins)
- 12. Grief - The Painfulness of Permanent Human Absence (Anders Petersen and Michael Hviid Jacobsen)
- 13. Boredom - Emptiness in the Modern World (Patrick Gamsby)
- 14. Laziness - From Medieval Sin to Late Modern Social Pathology (Michael Hviid Jacobsen)
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This volume explores the emotions that are intricately woven into the texture of everyday life and experience. A contribution to the literature on the sociology of emotions, it focuses on the role of emotions as being integral to daily life, broadening our understanding by examining both `core' emotions and those that are often overlooked or omitted from more conventional studies. Bringing together theoretical and empirical studies from scholars across a range of subjects, including sociology, psychology, cultural studies, history, politics and cognitive science, this international collection centres on the `everyday-ness' of emotional experience.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Classical and contemporary social theory
- 9781138633339 (hardcover)
- 113863333X (hardcover)
- 9781315207728 (electronic book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: