Archives & information in the early modern world
- edited by Liesbeth Corens, Kate Peters, & Alexandra Walsham.
- First edition.
- Oxford : Published for the British Academy by Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 326 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Proceedings of the British Academy ; 212.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword / Eric Ketelaar
- Introduction: Archives and information in the early modern world / Alexandra Walsham, Kate Peters, & Liesbeth Corens
- Part I: Organization and agency. 2. Early modern European archivality: organised records, information, and state power, c. 1500 / Randolph C. Head
- 3. Archival intelligence: diplomatic correspondence, information overload, and information management in Italy, 1450-1650 / Filippo De Vivo
- 4. Jean-Baptiste Colbert, accounting, and the genesis of the state archive in early modern France / Jacob Soll
- Part II: Access and secrecy. 5. The early modern secretary and the early modern archive / Arnold Hunt
- 6. Knowledge, oblivion, and concealment in early modern Spain: the ambiguous agenda of the Archive of Simancas / Arndt Brendecke
- 7. 'Friction in the archives': access and the politics of record-keeping in revolutionary England / Kate Peters
- Part III: Media and materiality. 8. The material culture of record-keeping in early modern England / Heather Wolfe & Peter Stallybrass
- 9. Archiving the archive: scribal and material culture in 17th-century Zurich / Sundar Henny
- Part IV: Documentation and distance. 10. Truth and suffering in the Quaker Archives / Brooke Sylvia Palmieri
- 11. Death, distance, and bureaucracy: an archival story / Sylvia Sellers-García
- 12. The transnational archive of the sinosphere: the early modern East Asian information order / Kiri Paramore
- Afterword / Ann Blair.
- Publisher's Summary
- This collection of essays explores the history of archives and record keeping across different polities and cultures in the early modern world. With ground-breaking research into the mechanics and personnel of early modern archives, the collection provides invaluable accounts of the history of keeping historical records.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780197266250 20180625
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Archives and information in the early modern world
- Proceedings of the British Academy ; 212
- Includes revised version of papers from a conference entitled "Transforming Information: Record Keeping in the Early Modern World" held at the British Academy in Apr. 2014, together with three additional essays.
- 9780197266250 (hardback)
- 0197266258 (hardback)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: