Around the world in 80 trees
- Jonathan Drori ; illustrations by Lucille Clerc.
- London, United Kingdom : Laurence King Publishing, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 240 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QK46.5 .H85 D76 2018||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 230-234) and index.
- Northern Europe ; Southern Europe and North Africa
- Eastern Mediterranean
- Central and South Asia
- East Asia
- South East Asia
- South America
- Mexico, Central America and Caribbean
- North America.
- Publisher's Summary
- Trees are one of humanity's most constant and most varied companions. From India's sacred banyan tree to the fragrant cedar of Lebanon, they offer us sanctuary and inspiration - not to mention the raw materials for everything from aspirin to maple syrup. In Around the World in 80 Trees, expert Jonathan Drori uses plant science to illuminate how trees play a role in every part of human life, from the romantic to the regrettable. Stops on the trip include the lime trees of Berlin's Unter den Linden boulevard, which intoxicate amorous Germans and hungry bees alike, the swankiest streets in nineteenth-century London, which were paved with Australian eucalyptus wood, and the redwood forests of California, where the secret to the trees' soaring heights can be found in the properties of the tiniest drops of water. Each of these strange and true tales - populated by self-mummifying monks, tree-climbing goats and ever-so-slightly radioactive nuts - is illustrated by Lucille Clerc, taking the reader on a journey that is as informative as it is beautiful.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781786271617 20180709
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Around the world in eighty trees
- 9781786271617 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: