Adult education and the formation of citizens : a critical interrogation
- Andreas Fejes, Magnus Dahlstedt, Maria Olson and Fredrik Sandberg.
- London ; New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- viii, 137 pages ; 25 cm.
- Routledge research in lifelong learning and adult education series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC5225 .A36 F45 2018||Unknown|
- Fejes, Andreas, 1977- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 125-134) and index.
- 1. The problem of citizen formation 2. Setting the scene 3. Individualisation 4. Normalisation 5. Role modelling 6. Recognition 7. Class and gender 8. Non-belonging 9. The Roma 10. Will formation 11. To the end.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780815362807 20180730
- Publisher's Summary
- Adult Education and the Formation of Citizens turns attention towards normative claims about who adults should become through education, and what capacities and skills adults need to develop to become included in society as `full' citizens. Through these debates, adults are construed as not yet citizens, despite already being citizens in a formal sense; this book problematises such regimes of truth and their related notions of the possibilities and impossibilities of adult education and citizenship. Drawing on empirical examples from the two main adult education institutions in Sweden, folk high schools and municipal adult education, it argues that, through current regimes of truth, these institutions become spaces for the re-shaping of the "abnormal" citizen. The book suggests that only certain futures of citizenship and its educational provision are made possible, while other futures are ignored or even made impossible to imagine. Offering a unique focus on critically problematising the role of adult education in relation to the fostering and shaping of citizens, the book addresses the important contemporary challenges of the role of adult education in a time of migration. Adult Education and the Formation of Citizens will be of great interest to academics, researchers and postgraduate students in the fields of adult education, lifelong learning and education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780815362807 20180730
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge research in lifelong learning and adult education series
- Available in another form
- Online version: Fejes, Andreas, 1977- author. Adult education and the formation of citizens Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2018 ( 9781351111355 )
- 9780815362807 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 0815362803 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 9781351111355 (electronic book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: