Tailspin : the people and forces behind America's fifty-year fall--and those fighting to reverse it
- Steven Brill.
- First edition.
- New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 441 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Brill, Steven, 1950- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The protected and the unprotected
- Meritocracy becomes the new aristocracy
- Casino country
- The greening of the First Amendment
- Making markets efficient--and marginalizing those left behind
- "Lip service" for America's workers
- Dysfunctional democracy
- Moat nation
- Why nothing works
- Protecting the most unprotected
- Storming the moats.
- Brill believes that over the last half-century America's core values-- meritocracy, innovation, due process, free speech, and even democracy itself-- have somehow managed to power its decline into dysfunction. In examining the people and forces behind the rise of big-money lobbying, legal and financial engineering, the demise of private-sector unions, and a hamstrung bureaucracy, he answers the question on everyone's mind: How did we end up this way?-- Adapted from publisher's info.
- United States > Social conditions > 1960-1980.
- United States > Social conditions > 1980-
- Social change > United States.
- Political culture > United States.
- Equality > United States.
- Democracy > United States.
- United States > Politics and government > 1945-1989.
- United States > Politics and government > 1989-
- Political culture.
- Politics and government.
- Social change.
- Social conditions.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- People and forces behind America's fifty-year fall--and those fighting to reverse it
- 9781524731632 hardcover
- 1524731633 hardcover
Browse related items
Start at call number: