Roman law : an introduction
- Rafael Domingo.
- London ; New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 238 pages ; 24 cm
- Domingo, Rafael, 1963- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -230) and index.
- Basic legal concepts and values
- Constitutional background of Roman law
- Sources of Roman law
- The jurists and the legal science
- Justinian and the Corpus iuris
- The revival of Roman law
- Civil litigation
- Family law
- Property law
- The law of succession
- The law of obligations I : contracts
- The law of obligations II : delicts.
- Publisher's Summary
- Roman Law: An Introduction offers a clear and accessible introduction to Roman law for students of any legal tradition. In the thousand years between the Law of the Twelve Tables and Justinian's massive Codification, the Romans developed the most sophisticated and comprehensive secular legal system of Antiquity, which remains at the heart of the civil law tradition of Europe, Latin America, and some countries of Asia and Africa. Roman lawyers created new legal concepts, ideas, rules, and mechanisms that most Western legal systems still apply. The study of Roman law thus facilitates understanding among people of different cultures by inspiring a kind of legal common sense and breadth of knowledge. Based on over twenty-five years' experience teaching Roman law, this volume offers a comprehensive examination of the subject, as well as a historical introduction which contextualizes the Roman legal system for students who have no familiarity with Latin or knowledge of Roman history. More than a compilation of legal facts, the book captures the defining characteristics and principal achievements of Roman legal culture through a millennium of development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780815362753 20180813
- Roman law.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780815362753 (hardback)
- 0815362757 (hardback)
- 9780815362777 (paperback)
- 0815362773 (paperback)
- 9781351111478 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: