Petroglyphs of Western Colorado and the Northern Ute Indian Reservation as interpreted by Clifford Duncan
- Carol Patterson.
- Philadelphia : American Philosophical Society Press, 2016.
- Physical description
- xi, 151 pages : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm.
- Transactions of the American Philosophical Society ; v. 105, pt. 5.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 137-144) and index.
- 1. Introduction: the Utes from Utah and Colorado
- 2. Ute rock art of western Colorado
- 3. Historic rock art of the Uintah and Ouray Reservation
- 4. Summary
- Appendix A. Rock-art chronology of Western Colorado
- Appendix B. Sign-language symbol chart.
- Clifford Duncan, a Northern Ute elder, believed in educating the public to know and understand the meaning of Ute petroglyphs. By doing this, he believed it would help to preserve and protect them. Over the course of eight years, Clifford and the author visited and revisited all of these sites, discussing what they might represent. Clifford's father was an Uncompahgre Ute and wanted Clifford to know the traditional homelands of the Uncompahgres in western Colorado. Clifford made special trips all through the Uncompahgre Plateau (by car, on foot, and on horseback), seeking out any Ute petroglyphs and cultural sites. Later in his life, he and the author visited many of the petroglyphs on the Uintah-Ouray Reservation, along Hill Creek and Willow Creek. These petroglyphs were authored by the Uncompahgre and White River Utes. The interpretations of the petroglyphs of western Colorado and the Uintah-Ouray Reservation are supplemented with cultural and political history to provide a background context to Clifford's interpretations. In addition, ethnographic information from other scholars provides readers with a deep appreciation as to what makes Ute petroglyphs so unique and fascinating. -- Back cover.
- Ute Indians > Utah > Antiquities.
- Petroglyphs > Utah > Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation.
- Ute Indians > Colorado > Antiquities.
- Petroglyphs > Colorado.
- Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation (Utah) > Antiquities.
- Colorado > Antiquities.
- Ute Indians > Antiquities.
- Utah > Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation.
- Publication date
- Transactions of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge, 0065-9746 ; volume 105, part 5
- 9781606180556 (alk. paper)
- 160618055X (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: