Creating the path to success in the classroom : teaching to close the graduation gap for minority, first-generation, and academically unprepared students
- Kathleen F. Gabriel ; foreword by Stephen Carroll.
- First edition.
- Sterling, Virginia : Stylus Publishing, LLC, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 179 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3731 .G325 2018||Unknown|
- Gabriel, Kathleen F. (Kathleen Faye), 1948- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 153-167) and index.
- Foreword 1) Retention, Persistence and Success: Clarifying the Challenge 2) Class Climate: aEURO Widening the Circle for a Diverse Student BodyaEURO 3) The First Month of the Semester: aEURO Engage & ConnectaEURO 4) Motivation & Attitudes: Impact of Mindsets & Mental Toughness Attributes 5) Interactive Lectures: Using Meaningful Educational Activities 6) Reading Assignments & Class Discussions: Stimulate Deeper Learning 7) Writing Assignments: Promote Critical Thinking & Writing 8) Grades & Assessments: Matching Learning Outcomes Epilogue References Appendix A: Expanding Cultural Competence with Readings Appendix B: PBS videos/movies exercises for expanding Cultural Competence Appendix C: QUOTES for supporting Growth Mindsets and Mental Toughness.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781579225568 20180709
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a book for all faculty who are concerned with promoting the persistence of all students whom they teach. Most recognize that faculty play a major role in student retention and success because they typically have more direct contact with students than others on campus. However, little attention has been paid to role of the faculty in this specific mission, or to the corresponding characteristics of teaching, teacher-student interactions, and connection to student affairs activities, that lead to studentsaEURO (TM) long-term engagement, their academic success, and ultimately to graduation. At a time when the numbers of underrepresented students aEURO" working adults, minority, first-generation, low-income, and international students aEURO" is increasing, this book, a companion to her earlier Teaching Underprepared Students, addresses that lack of specific guidance by providing faculty with additional evidence-based instructional practices geared toward reaching all the students in their classrooms, including those from groups that traditionally have been the least successful, while maintaining high standards and expectations. Recognizing that there are no easy answers, Kathleen Gabriel offers faculty ideas that can be incorporated in, or modified to align with, facultyaEURO (TM)s existing teaching methods. She covers topics such as creating a positive and inclusive course climate, fostering a community of learners, increasing engagement and studentsaEURO (TM) interactions, activating connections with culturally relevant material, reinforcing self-efficacy with growth mindset and mental toughness techniques, improving lectures by building in meaningful educational activities, designing reading and writing assignments for stimulating deep learning and critical thinking, and making grade and assessment choices that can promote learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781579225568 20180709
- Minority college students > United States.
- First-generation college students > United States.
- Underprepared college students > United States.
- College teaching > United States.
- Teacher-student relationships > United States.
- Communication in education > United States.
- Mentoring in education > United States.
- College dropouts > United States > Prevention.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Available in another form
- Online version: Gabriel, Kathleen F. (Kathleen Faye), 1948- Creating the path to success in the classroom. First edition. Sterling, Virginia : Stylus Publishing, LLC.,  ( 9781579225575 )
- 9781579225568 paperback ; alkaline paper
- 157922556X paperback ; alkaline paper
- 9781579225551 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 1579225551 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 9781579225575 library networkable e-edition
- 9781579225582 consumer e-edition
Browse related items
Start at call number: