A Risky Business? : Ukrainian Migrant Women in Warsaw's Domestic Work Sector
- English. English.
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (222 pages).
- IMISCOE dissertations.
- Kindler, Marta.
- A 'Risky'Business? - 2 Table of contents - 6 Acknowledgements - 8 1 Ukrainian migrant women, migrant domestic work and risk - 10 2 Risk, migration and migrant domestic work: Selected theory and research review - 20 3 Theoretical approach and research methodology applied in this study - 50 4 Ukrainian migrant women's images of risk - 64 5 Legal risks of migrationand legal risk-balancing strategies - 106 6 Risks and risk strategies in migrant domestic work - 138 7 Familiar risk: Ukrainian women in the Polishdomestic work sector - 176 Notes - 189 References - 201.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book is about migration as a form of risk-taking. Based on Ukrainian women's experiences in the Polish domestic work sector, it presents a new approach to analyse movements of female migrants responding to the demand for household labour around the world. Risks involved in migration and in migrant domestic work are accounted for in detail alongside an analysis of the migration decision-making processes. This study shows how social ties and migrant institutions effectively reduce the otherwise radical asymmetry of power between an individual migrant, the state and an employer. A Risky Business? brings to light the complex risk structures of migrants' activities and their sophisticated responses to them. With their innovative strategies, migrants challenge government-imposed constraints and thus reduce the risks of migration. This title is available in the OAPEN Library - http://www.oapen.org.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Women foreign workers > Poland > Warsaw.
- Household employees > Poland > Warsaw.
- Ukrainians > Poland > Warsaw.
- Migration, Internal > Europe.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS > Labor.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Labor & Industrial Relations.
- Society and social sciences.
- Society and culture: general.
- Social issues and processes.
- Migration, immigration and emigration.
- Politics and government.
- Sociology and anthropology.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Emigration & Immigration.
- Household employees.
- Migration, Internal.
- Women foreign workers.
- Poland > Warsaw.
- Ukrainische Einwanderin
- Business & Economics.
- Labor & Workers' Economics.
- Economic development.
- Public administration
- Publication date
- IMISCOE Dissertations
- 9789048514472 (electronic bk.)
- 9048514479 (electronic bk.)