Behind every choice is a story
- Gloria Feldt ; with Carol Trickett Jennings.
- data file.
- 1st ed.
- Denton, Tex. : University of North Texas Press, ©2002.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xix, 242 pages)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 227-236) and index.
- The talk
- Strong girl, jelly woman
- "He told me not to tell"
- Pierced ears
- Jelly woman to handsome princess
- This month's pills or this month's bills?
- Making family
- Choice as sacrifice, choice as freedom, or, how I became a perfect ten
- Viagra yes, pills no
- Rights vs. access
- Whose conscience counts?
- Murder in the name of life
- Calling ourselves free
- "We aren't the future, we're the present"
- Motherhood in freedom.
Behind Every Choice Is a Story is a poignant blend of personal stories, commentary, and memoir that chronicles the life-changing reproductive choices that women, men, and teens make every day. The book also traces Gloria Feldt's personal journey from the dusty oil fields of West Texas to becoming a Head Start teacher and activist in the civil rights and women's movement, culminating in her current standing as one of the most influential voices in the reproductive freedom movement. The book was inspired by the 1928 Motherhood in Bondage, a collection of letters written by women to Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood. Publishing these letters from women in desparate circumstances helped to equate the concept of birth control with higher values of wanted children, healthy mothers, loving couples, self realization, and female emancipation. Behind Every Choice Is a Story addresses many of those same issues and values and advances a new agenda for the twenty-first century. Behind Every Choice Is a Story sounds a clarion call by highlighting the importance of storytelling as a cultural force in encouraging change. Feldt recognizes and values women's stories for their personal, social, and political importance. The book uniquely positions current issues of reproductive freedom in the context of everyday experiences and provides a refreshing new framework to understand the current political and social landscape. Although the primary audience for this book is women who support reproductive freedom, a wide audience including men and teens will find their experiences among the compelling stories. It will also appeal to those who are intrigued by the unique perspective the book gives to the real-life impact of reproductive choices.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America > History.
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America > Histoire.
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
- Pro-choice movement > United States.
- Birth control > United States.
- Abortion > United States.
- Mouvement pour la libéralisation de l'avortement > États-Unis.
- Régulation des naissances > États-Unis.
- Avortement > États-Unis.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Abortion & Birth Control.
- Birth control.
- Pro-choice movement.
- United States.
- Publication date
- 1417531428 (electronic bk.)
- 9781417531424 (electronic bk.)
- 1574411586 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 9781574411584 (hardcover ; alk. paper)