Stepping up! : teachers advocating for sexual and gender diversity in schools
- Mollie V. Blackburn, Caroline T. Clark, and Ryan Schey ; with Jenell Igeleke Penn [and five others].
- New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- ix, 206 pages ; 23 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC212.8 .B532 2018||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 194-198) and index.
- 1. Stepping up for LGBTQ and Gender Diverse Students
- 2. Stepping Up as Teachers: Seeing Possibilities in Teaching and Activism
- 3. Stepping up as Teachers: Understanding Impact, Knowledge, and Vulnerability
- 4. Stepping Up with Parents of Queer Families in Schools
- 5. Queer High School Students on Stepping Up: Layered Lives and Layered Advocacy
- 6. Stepping up through Curriculum that is Inclusive of Sexual and Gender Diversity
- 7. Stepping up with School Leaders
- 8. Stepping Up: What it Takes and Why it Matters
- List of Contributors
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Stepping Up! offers inspiring suggestions for ways teachers and teacher educators can stand up and speak out for students to create welcoming classroom climates for LGBTQ and gender diverse youth. Building from ten years of collaborative longitudinal inquiry, including interviews with parents, students, teachers, and administrators, the authors share stories from different perspectives to support teachers with concrete examples of advocacy. The authors show teachers how to `step up' by working with students, through and beyond curriculum, and by working with families and administrators to improve school culture for LGBTQ and gender diverse students. Additionally, they explore the potential constraints involved in such social justice work, and share strategies and resources for transforming schools to be more queer-friendly.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 1138568171 (hbk.)
- 9781138568174 (hbk.)
- 1138568198 (pbk.)
- 9781138568198 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: