- Sebastian Koltzenburg, Michael Maskos, Oskar Nuyken.
- Uniform Title
- Polymere. English
- Berlin, Germany : Springer, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 584 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QD381 .K6513 2017||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction and Basic Concepts.- Polymers in Solution.- Polymer Analysis: Molar Mass Determination.- Polymers in Solid State.- Partially Crystalline Polymers.- Amorphous Polymers.- Polymers as Materials.- Step-growth Polymerization.- Radical Polymerization.- Ionic Polymerization.- Coordination Polymerization.- Ring-opening Polymerization.- Copolymerization.- Important Polymers Produced by Chain-Growth Polymerization.- Chemistry with Polymers.- Industrially Relevant Polymerization Processes.- The Basics of Plastics Processing.- Elastomers.- Functional Polymers.- Liquid Crystalline Polymers.- Polymers and the Environment.- Current Trends in Polymer Science.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783662492772 20180604
- Publisher's Summary
- This comprehensive textbook describes the synthesis, characterization and technical and engineering applications of polymers. Offering a broad and balanced introduction to the basic concepts of macromolecular chemistry and to the synthesis and physical chemistry of polymers, it is the ideal text for graduate students and advanced Masters students starting out in polymer science. Building on the basic principles of organic chemistry and thermodynamics, it provides an easily understandable and highly accessible introduction to the topic. Step by step, readers will obtain a detailed and well-founded understanding of this vibrant and increasingly important subject area at the intersection between chemistry, physics, engineering and the life sciences.Following an approach different from many other textbooks in the field, the authors, with their varying backgrounds (both from academia and industry), offer a new perspective. Starting with a clear and didactic introduction, the book discusses basic terms and sizes and shapes of polymers and macromolecules. There then follow chapters dedicated to polymers in solutions, molar mass determination, and polymers in the solid state, incl. (partially) crystalline or amorphous polymers as well as their application as engineering materials. Based on this information, the authors explain the most important polymerization methods and techniques. Often neglected in other textbooks, there are chapters on technical polymers, functional polymers, elastomers and liquid crystalline polymers, as well as polymers and the environment. An overview of current trends serves to generate further interest in present and future developments in the field.This book is the English translation of the successful German textbook "Polymere", which was awarded the Chemical Industry in Germany's 2015 literature Prize ("Literaturpreis des Fonds der Chemischen Industrie") for its innovative, novel approach, and its good accessibility and readability, while at the same time providing comprehensive coverage of the field of polymer science.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783662492772 20180604
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 3662492776 hardcover
- 9783662492772 hardcover
Browse related items
Start at call number: