The female spectator. [Five lines of quotation].
- Uniform Title
- Female spectator.
- The 3rd ed.
- Dublin : Printed for George and Alexander Ewing at the Angel and Bible in Dame-street, Booksellers, M, DCC, XLVII. 
- Physical description
- 4 volumes : illustrations ; 17 cm (12°)
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|(no call number)||In process|
- Women > Conduct of life > Periodicals > Early works to 1800.
- Women's periodicals, English > 18th century.
- Women > Conduct of life.
- Women's periodicals, English.
- Publication date
- Red and black title pages.
- Vignettes on title pages; headpieces.
- Includes indexes.
- Frontispieces signed: D. Malone.
- Pagination, v. 2: , 257,  p.; v. 3: , 258,  p.; v. 4: , 259,  p.
- Reprint. Originally issued in monthly parts: London, April 1744-May 1746, ostensibly by a club of four women.
- Library has vols. 2-4 only. Vol. 2 lacks the frontispiece. Library's ex-libris by P.R. Maverick on front paste-down, v. 2-4; in MS, black ink at upper right: No. 2373-75, respectively. Provenance deliberately obscured in v. 2-4, a rectangular cut above title in v. 3-4. Autograph G. Bend on t.p., v. 2-4. Binding: full calf, fillets on edges; raised bands, double lettering-pieces; gold-tooled fleurons on spine panels.
- Listed in 1789 catalogue, p. 34, 12°; 1793 catalogue, p. 43, No. 2372; and in the First ledger. Borrowed by Catharine Bradford, v. 1 on September 11th, 1790, returned on the 22nd; v. 2: on the same day, returned on October 1st; v. 4: on the same day, returned on the 16th.
- ESTC N9758
- Related Work
- New York Society Library. Catalog. Page 34.
- New York Society Library. Catalog. No. 2372-2375.
- First Ledger (New York Society Library)