Berg encyclopedia of world dress and fashion. Central and Southwest Asia
- Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood (ed).
- Oxford : Berg, 2010-
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : illustrations (colour).
Search this database
- Vogelsang-Eastwood, Gillian, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Encyclopedia Preface Preface to Central and Southwest Asia
- PART 1: Overview of Dress and Fashion in Central and Southwest Asia Introduction to Dress and Fashion in Central and Southwest Asia, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Climate, Geography, and Dress, Willem Vogelsang History of Dress and Fashion, Willem Vogelsang Pre-Islamic Dress Codes in the Eastern Mediterranean and Southwest Asia, Mary Harlow and Lloyd Llewellyn-Jones The Coming of Islam and Its Influence on Dress, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Jewish Dress in Central and Southwest Asia and the Diaspora, Esther Juhasz Dress Reforms of the Early Twentieth Century in Turkey, Iran, and Afghanistan, Derek Bryce SNAPSHOT: Turkish Fashion Designers , Fatma Mete SNAPSHOT: ANAT, Syria, Heike Weber SNAPSHOT: An Omani Fashion Designer, Julia M. Al-Zadjali SNAPSHOT: An Afghan Fashion Show, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Hussein Chalayan: Controversial Fashion Designer or Bridge between East and West?, Bradley Quinn Sources of Information about Dress in Southwest Asia, Tineke Rooijakkers Central and Southwest Asian Dress Studies, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood
- PART 2: Textiles of Central and Southwest Asia Trade, Textiles, and Dress in Central and Southwest Asia, Abby Lillethun SNAPSHOT: Textiles of Central Asia, Abby Lillethun SNAPSHOT: Trade, Textiles, Dress, and the Hajj, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Tiraz: Textiles and Dress with Inscriptions in Central and Southwest Asia, Margaret Anne Deppe
- PART 3: Anatolia and the Eastern Mediterranean Historical Survey of Textiles and Dress in Turkey, Charlotte Jirousek Turkish Embroidery, Sumru Belger Krody Ottoman Dress, Nancy Micklewright The Kaftan and Its Origins, Charlotte Jirousek Royal Dress Preserved at the Topkapi Museum, H lya Tezcan SNAPSHOT: Turkish Costume Albums, Jennifer M. Scarce Regional Dress in Anatolia, Jennifer M. Scarce Dress in Modern Israel, Ayala Raz Christian Secular, Monastic, and Liturgical Dress in the Eastern Mediterranean, Karel C. Innem e Arab Men's Dress in the Eastern Mediterranean, Widad Kawar and Sibba Einarsd ttir Palestinian Women's Dress, Widad Kawar and Sibba Einarsd ttir Palestinian Scarves and Flag Dresses, Tineke Rooijakkers Palestinian Embroidery, Tineke Rooijakkers and Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Embroidery Workshops in Palestine, Heike Weber Jordanian Women's Dress, Widad Kawar and Sibba Einarsd ttir Syria, Tineke Rooijakkers and Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Lebanese Women's Dress, Nour Majdalany Hakim SNAPSHOT: Druze Dress, Heike Weber and Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood
- PART 4: Arabian Desert and Peninsula Introduction to the History of Dress in the Arabian Desert and Peninsula, Tineke Rooijakkers Bedouin Jewelry, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Saudi Arabian Dress, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Yemeni Dress, Christina Lindholm Omani Dress SNAPSHOT: The Abayeh in Oman, Julia M. Al-Zadjali Dress from the Gulf States: Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Fadwa El Guindi and Wesam al-Othman SNAPSHOT: The Abayeh in Qatar, Christina Lindholm
- PART 5: Iranian Plateau Introduction to the History of Dress on the Iranian Plateau, Willem Vogelsang Iraqi Dress, Ulrike Al-Khamis and Saad Lafta Hami Kurdish Dress, Layla Yousif Pio Early Iranian Textiles and Their Influence on Pre-Islamic Dress, Irene Good Iranian Regional Dress, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Iranian Urban Dress, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Reza Shah's Dress Reforms in Iran, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Regional Dress of Afghanistan, Willem Vogelsang Afghan Dress and the Diaspora, M. Catherine Daly Afghan Jewelry, M. Catherine Daly SNAPSHOT: Afghan Embroidery, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood The Chadari/Burqa of Afghanistan and Pakistan, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood
- PART 6: Central Asia History of West Turkistan and Its Influence on the Dress of South Central Asia, Willem Vogelsang Trouser Wearing by Horse-Riding Nomads in Central Asia, Willem Vogelsang Turkmen Dress and Embroidery SNAPSHOT: Turkmen Women's Jewelry, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Dress from Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, Christina Sumner Uzbek Textiles, Carter Malik Dress from Kazakhstan, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood Dress from Kyrgyzstan, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood
- PART 7: People and Dress in Central and Southwest Asia Fitrah: Temporary and Permanent Body Modifications for Muslims, Irvin Cemil Schick SNAPSHOT: Henna, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood SNAPSHOT: Indigo, Tineke Rooijakkers Perfume and Incense, Julia M. Al-Zadjali Weapons and Accessories, Willem Vogelsang Birth, Marriage, and Death, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood The Tradition of the Bridal Trousseau, Sumru Belger Krody Dress and Hadiths (Traditions or Sayings Attributed to the Prophet Mohammed), Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood SNAPSHOT: Dress of Shiites and Mystics, Ashgar Seyed-Gohrab SNAPSHOT: Islamic Pilgrimage Dress (Ihram), Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood SNAPSHOT: Muharram and Dress, Ashgar Seyed-Gohrab SNAPSHOT: Islam and Islamically Correct Dress (Hijab), Fadwa El Guindi Laws of Differentiation, Irvin Cemil Schick Sumptuary Laws 456, Irvin Cemil Schick Khil'a: Clothing to Honor a Person or Situation, Stewart Gordon Face Veils, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood The Turban and Male Headgear, Beverly Chico SNAPSHOT: Al-Washsha, a Medieval Fashion Guru, Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood SNAPSHOT: Orientalism in Western Dress and Stage Costume, Lloyd Llewellyn-Jones Dress and Tourism, Derek Bryce Index
- Central and Southwest Asia explores dress history and practices throughout the vast area linking central Asia to the Eastern Mediterranean. The birthplace of three world religions, this is a region shaped by cultural legacies: Arabs, Iranians, and Ottoman Turks have all left stunning and enduring artistic forms. This volume is the only major work to cover the full range of dress across this region, from the historic Silk Road, which played a vital role in linking dress and textile traditions in the area, to topics rarely before investigated, such as Kurdish dress, the role of the hajj market, and Afghan fashion shows. The region's location as a bridge between East and West is also explored, as are the cultural and symbolic meanings of Islamic dress and the West's romantic fascination with Orientalism. Rare photographs provide fascinating visual evidence of the region's rich and complex history.
- Beginning date
- Title variation
- Central and Southwest Asia
- Encyclopedia of world dress and fashion
- World dress and fashion
- Berg fashion library
- This is volume 5 of the Berg encyclopedia of world dress and fashion.
- 9781847888549 (online resource)