Berg encyclopedia of world dress and fashion. Africa
- Joanne B. Eicher and Doran H. Ross (eds).
- Oxford : Berg, 2010-
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : illustrations (colour).
- Berg fashion library.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lavishly illustrated with over 300 images - most previously unpublished - Africa is the first major reference work to offer a comprehensive overview of dress and adornment in this vast continent of many nations and peoples. This volume examines past and present dress practices, including the ornamental and symbolic meaning of body decoration, the historical significance of cloth and textiles, and the ancient trading relationships and migrations that have shaped Africa's complex material culture. This is a land of contrasts, where age-old ceremonial dress and mask traditions coexist with the trappings of a modern, globalized society. The rich, varied, and often deeply symbolic dress of African peoples is given its fullest coverage to date in this landmark work.
- Beginning date
- Title Variation
- Encyclopedia of world dress and fashion
- World dress and fashion
- Berg fashion library
- This is volume 1 of the Berg encyclopedia of world dress and fashion.
- 9781847888501 (online resource) : No price
- 184788850X (online resource)