More precisely : the math you need to do philosophy
- Eric Steinhart.
- Second edition.
- Peterborough, Ontario, Canada : Broadview Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 234 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA9 .S746 2018||Unknown|
- Steinhart, Eric, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 226-230) and index.
- Preface Chapter 1: Sets Chapter 2: Relations Chapter 3: Machines Chapter 4: Semantics Chapter 5: Probability Chapter 6: Information Theory Chapter 7: Decisions and Games Chapter 8: From the Finite to the Infinite Chapter 9: Bigger Infinities Further Study Glossary of Symbols.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781554813452 20180409
- Publisher's Summary
- More Precisely is a rigorous and engaging introduction to the mathematics necessary to do philosophy. It is impossible to fully understand much of the most important work in contemporary philosophy without a basic grasp of set theory, functions, probability, decision theory, and modality. More Precisely is written for people who wish to engage with contemporary philosophical writing but first need to fill gaps in their technical knowledge. Eric Steinhart provides lucid explanations of many basic mathematical concepts and sets out most commonly used notational conventions. He also demonstrates how mathematics applies to fundamental issues in various branches of philosophy, including metaphysics, philosophy of language, epistemology, and ethics. This second edition adds a substantive section on decision and game theory, as well as a chapter on information theory and the efficient coding of information.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781554813452 20180409
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 155481345X (paperback)
- 9781554813452 (paperback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: