Claudio Monteverdi : a research and information guide
- Susan Lewis and Maria Virginia Acuña.
- New York, NY ; Abingdon, Oxon : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxix, 242 pages ; 24 cm.
- Routledge music bibliographies.
At the library
|ML134 .M66 L49 2018||In-library use|
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Preface Acknowledgements Introduction: Monteverdi in His World and Ours Abbreviations Monteverdi: A Chronology 1. Reference General Reference Monteverdi Reference Catalogs of Monteverdi's Music Monteverdi's Letters, Documents, and Writings 2. Collections of Essays and Conference Proceedings 3. Studies of Monteverdi's Life and Works Specialized Studies Studies of Documents and Sources Iconography 4. Claudio's Brother: Giulio Cesare Monteverdi 5. Theory and Aesthetics Theoretical Contexts Aesthetics and Debates on the seconda pratica 6. Canzonetta and Madrigal Books Secular Song around 1600 Monteverdi as Madrigalist Monteverdi in Relation to His Contemporaries Monteverdi's Poetic Choices Madrigali, Libri I-III Madrigali, Libro IV-V Scherzi musicali (1607) Madrigali, Libro VI Madrigali, Libro VII Scherzi musicali (1632) Madrigali guerrieri et amorosi, Libro VIII Madrigali, Libro IX Spiritual Madrigals and Contrafacta 7. Dramatic Works General Studies of Early Opera Venetian Opera and Opera in Venice Studies of Monteverdi's Dramatic Works L'Orfeo (1607) Arianna (1608) and the Lament Tradition Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria (1639-40) Le nozze d'Enea (1640-1) L'incoronazione di Poppea (1642-3) Other Dramatic Works Le nozze de Tetide (1616-7) Andromeda (1620) Il combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda (1624) Musical Festivities for Parma (1628) Proserpina rapita (1630) Ballet Music 8. Sacred Music Monteverdi's Sacred Music in Context Sacred Music for Mantua and the 1610 Vespers Later Sacred Works 9. Issues of Performance General Studies Monteverdi: Specialized Studies Instruments and Instrumentation Ornamentation and Singing Techniques 10. Monteverdi's Historical Position and Status Reception up to 1900 The Twentieth Century and Beyond Appendices Monteverdi's Works Guide to Editions of Monteverdi's Complete Works Selected Discography Index of Monteverdi's Works Index of Authors Index of Names and Places.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415837330 20180403
- Publisher's Summary
- Claudio Monteverdi: A Research and Information Guide is an annotated bibliography that navigates the vast scholarly resources on the composer with the most updated compilation since 1989. Claudio Monteverdi transformed and mastered the principal genres of his day and his works influenced generations of musicians and other artists. He initiated one of the most important aesthetic debates of the era by proposing a new relationship between poetry and harmony. In addition to scholarship by musicologists and music theorists, Monteverdi's music has attracted attention from literary scholars, cultural historians, and critical theorists. Research into Monteverdi and Renaissance and early baroque studies has expanded greatly, with the field becoming more complex as scholars address such issues as gender theory, feminist criticism, cultural theory, new criticism, new historicism, and artistic and popular cultures. The guide serves both as a foundational starting point and as a gateway for future inquiry in such fields as court culture, opera, patronage, and Italian poetry.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415837330 20180403
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge music bibliographies
- 9780415837330 (hardback)
- 0415837332 (hardback)
- 9780203379936 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: