The African Neogene : climate, environments and people
- editor Jürgen Runge ; in collaboration with Joachim Eisenberg.
- Leiden, The Netherlands : CRC Press/Balkema, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 224 pages : illustrations (some color), maps, charts ; 26 cm.
- Palaeoecology of Africa ; v. 34.
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
|560.05 .P152 V.34||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- ForewordJurgen Runge 1 Obituaries - Karl W. Butzer (1934-2016), Francoise Gasse (1942-2014)Jurgen Runge and Florence Sylvestre 2 Exploration of the Tibesti Mountains - Re-appraisal after 50 Years?Baldur Gabriel 3 The geomorphology and river longitudinal profiles of the Congo-Kalahari WatershedTyrel J. Flugel, Frank D. Eckardt and Woody (Fenton) P.D. Cotterill 4 Palynological Evidence (Apectodinium) of the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) Event in the Sediments of the Oshosun Formation, Eastern Dahomey Basin, Southwest NigeriaOlugbenga A. Boboye and Dupe Egbeola 5 Sedimentological, palynological and stable isotopes studies on quaternary to neogene sediments of the Eastern Dahomey Basin, Lagos, NigeriaOlugbenga A. Boboye and Dupe Egbeola 6 Palynofacies, sedimentology and palaeo-environment evidenced by studies on IDA-6 well, Niger delta, NigeriaJacinta N. Chukwuma-Orji, Edward A. Okosun, Isah A. Goro and Salome H. Waziri 7 Tropical Palaeovegetation dynamics, environmental and Climate change impact from the low latitude Coastal Offshore Margin, Niger Delta, Gulf of GuineaOnema Adojoh, Fabienne Marret, Robert Duller and Peter Osterloff 8 Palaeoenvironments and Palaeoclimates during the Upper-Pleistocene and Holocene in the western Lake Kivu regionChantal Kabonyi Nzabandora, Emile Roche and Mike I. Akaegbobi 9 The Coastal Holocene Sedimentary Environments of the Bays of Loango and Pointe-Noire, Congo: Previous Works, Recent Development and SynthesisDieudonne Malounguila-Nganga, Pierre Giresse, Timothee Miyouna and Florent Boudzoumou 10 Geochronology and technological development: The microscopic and metric evidence from Middle Stone Age (MSA) points at Mumba rock-shelter, northern TanzaniaPastory G. M. Bushozi, Luis Leque and Audax Mabulla 11 Spatial Distribution and Impacts of Mining Development Minerals in Greater Accra Metropolitan Area, GhanaRosemary Okla.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781351666398 20180312
- Publisher's Summary
- During the Neogene - covering the last 23 Million years - the evolution of the environmental setting in Africa was subject to considerable changes. Natural shifts, slow and rapid, evidenced by modifications in palaeogeography, geodynamics, climate, and vegetation have caused repeated and strong changes of ecosystems in the lower latitudes. Using a variety of proxy data - researched and applied by many authors from numerous disciplines - an attempt is made to reconstruct African landscapes over space and time. Besides such spatio-temporal oscillations in recently humid, semi-humid, and dry areas of Africa, this volume of Palaeoecology of Africa (PoA) focuses on long term interrelationships between ecosystem dynamics and climate change, not ignoring the ever growing and ongoing influence of humans on natural ecosystems since the Quaternary. Regionally, this volume lays a strong focus on Nigeria (Niger Delta). Facing the omnipresent challenges of Global Change, an increasing number of African scientists is involved in palaeoenvironmental and palaeoclimatic research, both theoretical and applied. PoA systematically supports established as well as junior African scientists in the field of sustainable cooperation and academic capacity building. This book will be of interest to all concerned with or interested in up-to-date research on Neogene to Quaternary low latitudes ecosystem changes and their respective interpretation in the framework of natural climate and vegetation change evidenced by a variety of methods that allow to read and learn from the past by following the motto, "The geologic foretime as the key to the present, and possibly to the future." Palynologists, Geologists, Geographers, Archaeologists, and Geomorphologists will find this edition equally useful for their work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781351666398 20180312
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Palaeoecology of Africa: international yearbook of landscape evolution and palaeoenvironments, 2372-5907 ; volume 34
- Available in another form
- Online version: African Neogene. Milton : CRC Press, 2017 ( 9781351666398 )
- Available in another form
- Online version: Runge, Jürgen. African Neogene - Climate, Environments and People. Milton : CRC Press, 2017 ( 9781351666398 )
- 9781138062122 (Hbk)
- 113806212X (Hbk)
- 9781315161808 (eBook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: