Advances in agricultural animal welfare : science and practice
- edited by Joy A. Mensch.
- Duxford, United Kingdom : Woodhead Publishing, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : illustrations (some color)
- Woodhead Publishing in food science, technology, and nutrition.
- Mench, Joy A., editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part One: Advances in Animal Welfare Science 1 Cognitive as a cause, consequence, and component of welfare 2 Genetics and genomics of animal welfare Part Two: Animal Welfare and Sustainability of Animal Agriculture 3 Animal ethics: probing the philosophical issues 4 Animal welfare and environmental issues 5 Animal welfare and sfood safety in modern animal production Part Three: Translating Science Into Policy and Practice 6 Science in the real world - benefits for researchers and farmers 7 Animal welfare: translating science into practice 8 Perspectives on the emerging role of US veterinarians in education, policy, politics and research Part Four: Animal Welfare Standards-- Are They Globally Achievable? 9 The perspective of the World Organisation for Animal Health 10 Perspective from Asia, Far East and Oceania, and Middle East 11 Perspective from Latin America Part Five: Emerging Issues 12 Slaughter without stunning 13 Urban agriculture.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780081012154 20180312
- Publisher's Summary
- Advances in Agricultural Animal Welfare fully explores developments in the key areas of agricultural animal welfare assessment and improvement. Analyzing current topical issues, as well as reviewing the historical welfare issues, the volume is a comprehensive review of the field. Divided into five sections, the book opens in Part One by reviewing advances in animal welfare science, examining cognitive psychology, genetics and genomics. Part Two then looks at transdisciplinary research in animal welfare, with coverage of bioethics, welfare and sustainability from both environmental and food safety perspectives. Part Three explores the process of translating science into policy and practice, followed by discussion on the global achievability of welfare standards in Part Four. Finally, Part Five highlights some emerging issues in agricultural animal welfare. This book is an essential part of the wider ranging series Advances in Farm Animal Welfare, with coverage of cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry and aquaculture. With its expert editor and international team of contributors, Advances in Agricultural Animal Welfare is a key reference tool for welfare research scientists and students, practicing vets involved in welfare assessment, and indeed anyone with a professional interest in the welfare of agricultural animals.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780081012154 20180312
- Publication date
- Woodhead Publishing in food science, technology, and nutrition
- Available in another form
- Print version: Advances in agricultural animal welfare. Duxford, United Kingdom : Woodhead Publishing, an imprint of Elsevier,  ( 0081012152 )
- 9780081012468 (electronic bk.)
- 0081012462 (electronic bk.)