Principles of modern chemistry
- David W. Oxtoby, Pomona College; H. P. Gillis, University of California, Los Angeles; Laurie J. Butler, The University of Chicago.
- Eighth edition.
- Boston, MA : Cengage Learning, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 volume (various pagings) : illustrations (some color) ; 29 cm
- Unit I. Introduction to the Study of Modern Chemistry. 1. The Atom in Modern Chemistry. 2. Chemical Formulas, Equations, and Reaction Yields. Unit II. Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure. 3. Atomic Shells and Classical Models of Chemical Bonding. 4. Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. 5. Quantum Mechanics and Atomic Structure. 6. Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure. 7. Bonding in Organic Molecules. 8. Bonding in Transition Metal Compounds and Coordination Complexes. Unit III. Kinetic Molecular Description of the States of Matter. 9. The Gaseous State. 10. Solids, Liquids, and Phase Transitions. 11. Solutions. Unit IV. Equilibrium in Chemical Reactions. 12. Thermodynamic Processes and Thermochemistry. 13. Spontaneous Processes and Thermodynamic Equilibrium. 14. Chemical Equilibrium. 15. Acid-Base Equilibria. 16. Solubility and Precipitation Equilibria. 17. Electrochemistry. Unit V. Rates of Chemical and Physical Processes. 18. Chemical Kinetics. 19. Nuclear Chemistry. 20. Molecular Spectroscopy and Photochemistry. Unit VI. Materials. 21. Structure and Bonding in Solids. 22. Inorganic Materials. 23. Polymeric Materials and Soft Condensed Matter. Appendix A. Scientific Notation and Experimental Error. Appendix B. SI Units, Unit Conversions, and Physics for General Chemistry. Appendix C. Mathematics for General Chemistry. Appendix D. Standard Chemical Thermodynamic Properties. Appendix E. Standard Reaction Potentials at 25 DegreesC. Appendix F. Physical Properties of the Elements. Appendix G. Solutions to the Odd-Numbered Problems. Index/Glossary.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781305079113 20180403
- Publisher's Summary
- Long considered the standard for covering chemistry at a high level, PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY continues to set the standard as the most modern, rigorous, and chemically and mathematically accurate book on the market. This authoritative text features an "atoms first" approach and thoroughly revised chapters on Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure (Chapter 6), Electrochemistry (Chapter 17), and Molecular Spectroscopy and Photochemistry (Chapter 20). In addition, the text utilizes mathematically accurate and artistic atomic and molecular orbital art, and is student friendly without compromising its rigor. End-of-chapter learning aids now focus on only the most important key objectives, equations and concepts, making it easier for readers to locate chapter content, while new applications to a wide range of disciplines, such as biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, and medicine deepen readers' understanding of the relevance of chemistry in today's world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781305079113 20180403
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Includes index.
Browse related items
Start at call number: