Ricoldo de Montecroce [electronic resource].
- Uniform Title
- Itinerarius fratris Riculdi
- Latin, Italian, French, Middle (ca. 1400-1600), English, French. Mss. of Itinerarius in original Latin and Italian and Middle French translations; printed works in English, French or Latin.
- Marlborough, England : Adam Matthew Digital, 
- Physical description
- 10 items : ill., maps.
- Medieval travel writing.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Ricoldo de Montecroce was a Dominican missionary to the court of the Mongol ruler, the Ilkhan Arghun. He made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1288 and then travelled for many years as a missionary in western Asia visiting cities such as Mosul and Baghdad. His Itinerarium, written about 1288-1291, was intended as a guide book for missionaries and provides a description of the various countries he visited. Ricoldo's best known work was the Contra Legem Sarracenorum, written in Baghdad, first published in print form in Seville in 1500. The Christian Fidei Confessio facta Sarracenis, printed in Basle in 1543, is also attributed to Ricoldo. Other works include: Contra errores Judorum, Libellus contra nationes orientales, Contra Sarracenos et Alcoranum, De variis religionibus and Epistol de Perditione Acconis. Ricoldo also began a translation of the Quran about 1290, but it is not known whether this work was completed.
- Ricoldo, da Montecroce, 1242 or 1243-1320 > Travel > Middle East.
- Missionaries > Travel > Middle East.
- Travel, Medieval.
- Iran > Description and travel > Early works to 1800.
- Syria > Description and travel > Early works to 1800.
- Iraq > Description and travel > Early works to 1800.
- Mongols > Kings and rulers > Early works to 1800.
- Travelers' writings.
- Manuscripts, Medieval > Facsimiles.
- Publication date
- Medieval travel writing
- Title from Traveller page (viewed on 6 Aug. 2008)
- Electronic reproduction of 3 mss. held at the Bibliothèque nationale de France, 1 ms. from the Herzog August Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel and 6 printed items from the British Library.
- Location of Originals
- Bibliothèque national de France
- Herzog August Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel
- British Library