Leading a diversity culture shift in higher education : comprehensive organizational learning strategies
- Edna Chun and Alvin Evans.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxiv, 236 pages ; 23 cm.
- New critical viewpoints on society series.
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3727 .C48 2018||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments Foreword by Joe R. Feagin Chapter I. An Improbable Landscape for Diversity Cultural Change The Tumultuous Political Stage for Diversity Jim Crow Revisited The New Demographics: A Litmus Test for Change Promising Leadership Practices in Activating Diversity Learning Research Focus of the Study Organization of the Book Survey and Interview Process Case Study I The Roller Coaster of Change at the University of Missouri at Columbia ("Mizzou") Chapter II. Laying the Groundwork for a Diversity Cultural Shift The Ongoing Counterpoint between Diversity and Inclusion The Dangers of Neutralizing Diversity Surveying the Campus Landscape for Diversity Recasting Twenty-first Century Diversity Leadership The Evolution of the Chief Diversity Officer Role Faculty Governance and Diversity Change Organizational Learning as a Catalyst for Diversity Transformation Case Study II Crossing the Line: Legislative Threats to Diversity Programs at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville (UTK) Chapter III. A Framework for Systematic Diversity Organizational Learning The Inclusive Excellence Change Model Prominent Theories of Cultural Change Hidden Forces of Cultural Resistance Phases of a Diversity Cultural Shift Forward-looking Inclusive Excellence Change Strategies Case Study III The Progressive Course of Diversity Organizational Learning at Princeton University Chapter IV. Representative Approaches to Diversity Organizational Learning Diversity Training versus Diversity Education Transformative Learning for Diversity Common Barriers to Diversity Organizational Learning Strategic Diversity Learning Approaches Cabinet-level Interactions Faculty Development for Diversity Administrator and Staff Professional Development Student-focused Diversity Programs Developing a Taxonomy for Diversity Organizational Learning Key Questions in Evaluating Diversity Education Programs Case Study IV Academic Prominence and Diversity Cultural Change at Lehigh University Case Study V Moving from Compositional Diversity to Inclusive Learning Practices: The University of Maryland at College Park Chapter V. Future Aspirations and Expectations Appendix A Diversity Officer Sample Appendix B Diversity Organizational Learning Matrix Endnotes Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138280717 20180306
- Publisher's Summary
- Leading a Diversity Culture Shift in Higher Education offers a practical and timely guide for launching, implementing, and institutionalizing diversity organizational learning. The authors draw from extensive interviews with chief diversity officers and college and university leaders to reveal the prevailing models and best practices for strengthening diversity practices within the higher education community today. They complement this original research with an analysis of key contextual factors that shape the organizational learning process including administrative leadership, institutional mission and goals, historical legacy, geographic location, and campus structures and politics. Given the substantive challenge of engendering a cultural shift for diversity in a university setting, this book will serve as a concrete primer for institutions seeking to develop a systematic and progressive approach to diversity organizational learning. Readers will be able to engage with provocative case studies that grapple with the current pressures emanating from diversity training and learn effective strategies for creating more inclusive environments. This book is a perfect resource for institutional leaders, administrators, faculty members, and key campus constituencies who are seeking transformational change, institutional success, and stability in a rapidly diversifying national and global environment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138280717 20180306
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- New critical viewpoints on society series
- 9781138280694 (hardcover)
- 1138280690 (hardcover)
- 9781138280717 (pbk.)
- 1138280712 (pbk.)
- 9781315210360 (ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: