Rechnitz and The merchant's contracts
- Elfriede Jelinek ; translated and introduced by Gitta Honegger.
- London ; New York : Seagull Books, 2015.
- Physical description
- 326 pages : illustrations ; 19 cm + 1 DVD (4 3/4 in).
- In performance (Series)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Rechnitz (The Exterminating Angel)
- The Merchant's Contracts : A Comedy of Economics
- Appendix A: Bad Rap : Now What?
- Appendix B: You Bet (A Sequel).
For much of her career, Elfriede Jelinek has been maligned in the press for both her unrelenting critique of Austrian complicity in the Holocaust and her provocative deconstructions of pornography. Despite this, her central role in shaping contemporary literature was finally recognized in 2004 with the award of the Nobel Prize in Literature. The committee acknowledged Jelinek's groundbreaking work that offers a "musical flow of voices and counter-voices in novels and plays that with extraordinary linguistic zeal reveal the absurdity of society's cliches and their subjugating power." Although she is an internationally recognized playwright, Jelinek's work is difficult to find in English, which makes this new volume, which includes Rechnitz: The Exterminating Angel and The Merchant's Contracts, all the more valuable. In Rechnitz, a chorus of messengers reports on the circumstances of the massacre of 180 Jews, an actual historical event that took place near the Austrian/Hungarian border town of Rechnitz. More than a docudrama, this work explores the very transmission of historic memory and has been called Jelinek's best performance text to date. In The Merchant's Contracts, Jelinek brings us a comedy of economics, where the babble and media spin of spectators leave small investors alienated and bearing the brunt of the economic crisis. In the age of the global economy, Jelinek turns the story of a merchant of Vienna into a universal comedy of errors, making this her most accessible work. Along with an extensive introduction by the translator that both contextualizes and analyzes the two brilliant texts, a DVD of performances of both plays accompanies this volume.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Jelinek, Elfriede, 1946- Plays. Selections. English.
- Jelinek, Elfriede, 1946- Kontrakte des Kaufmanns. English.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
- World War (1939-1945)
- World War, 1939-1945 > Atrocities > Austria > Drama.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Jews > Austria > Drama.
- Jews > Austria > History > 20th century > Drama.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) > Austria > Drama.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Merchant's contracts
- In performance
- Translated from the German: Rechnitz (Der Würgeengel) and Die Kontrakte des Kaufmanns.
- DVD contains performances of Rechnitz directed by Jossi Wieler, Munich Kammerspiele, Munich, 2008, and The merchant's contracts directed by Nicolas Stemann, Thalia Theater, Hamburg, 2009.
Browse related items
Start at call number: