How to write and publish a scientific paper
- Barbara Gastel and Robert A. Day.
- Eighth edition.
- Santa Barbara, California : Greenwood, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxi, 326 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-309) and index.
- Part I: Some preliminaries. What is scientific writing? ; Historical perspectives ; Approaching a writing project ; What is a scientific paper? ; Ethics in scientific publishing ; Where to submit your manuscript
- Part II: Preparing the text. How to prepare the title ; How to list the authors and addresses ; How to prepare the abstract ; How to write the introduction ; How to write the materials and methods section ; How to write the results ; How to write the discussion ; How to state the acknowledgments ; How to cite the references
- Part III: Preparing the tables and figures. How to design effective tables ; How to prepare effective graphs ; How to prepare effective photographs
- Part IV: Publishing the paper. Rights and permissions ; How to submit the manuscript ; The review process (how to deal with editors) ; The publishing process (how to deal with proofs) and after publication
- Part V: Doing other writing for publication. How to write a review paper ; How to write opinion (letters to the editor, editorials, and book reviews) ; How to write a book chapter or a book ; How to write for the public ; How to present a paper orally ; How to prepare a poster ; How to write a conference report
- Part VII: Scientific style. Use and misuse of English ; Avoiding jargon ; How and when to use abbreviations ; Writing clearly across cultures and media ; How to write science in English as a foreign language
- Part VIII: Other topics in scientific communication. How to write a thesis ; How to prepare a curriculum vitae, cover letter, and personal statement ; How to prepare grant proposals and progress reports ; How to write a recommendation letter : and how to ask for one ; How to work with the media ; How to provide peer review ; How to edit your own work ; How to seek a scientific-communication career
- Appendix 1: Selected journal title word abbreviations
- Appendix 2: Words and expressions to avoid
- Appendix 3: SI (Système International) prefixes and their abbreviations
- Appendix 4: Some helpful websites
- "This newly updated version of the classic guide to writing and publishing scientific papers provides the tools needed to succeed in the communication aspects of a scientific career"--Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Authors' names in reverse order on previous editions.
- 9781440842627 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 1440842620 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 9781440842801 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 1440842809 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 9781440842634 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: