The essential cosmic perspective
- Eighth edition / Jeffrey Bennett, University of Colorado at Boulder, Megan Donahue, Michigan State University, Nicholas Schneider, University of Colorado at Boulder, Mark Voit, Michigan State University.
- New York, NY : Pearson, 
- Physical description
- 1 volume (various pagings) : illustration (some color), color map ; 28 cm
- PHYSICS-16-01 -- The Origin and Development of the Cosmos
- Wechsler, Risa
At the library
Engineering Library (Terman)
On reserve: Ask at circulation desk
|QB43.3 .B46 2018||2-hour loan|
- I. Developing Perspective 1. A Modern View of the Universe 2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself 3. The Science of Astronomy II. Key Concepts for Astronomy 4. Making Sense of the Universe: Understanding Motion, Energy, and Gravity 5. Light: The Cosmic Messenger III. Learning from Other Worlds 6. Formation of the Solar System 7. Earth and the Terrestrial Worlds 8. Jovian Planet Systems 9. Asteroids, Comets, and Dwarf Planets: Their Nature, Orbits, and Impacts 10. Other Planetary Systems: The New Science of Distant Worlds IV. Stars 11. Our Star 12. Surveying the Stars 13. Star Stuff 14. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard V. Galaxies and Beyond 15. Our Galaxy 16. A Universe of Galaxies 17. The Birth of the Universe 18. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Universe VI. Life on Earth and Beyond 19. Life in the Universe.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780134446431 20171227
- Publisher's Summary
- For one-semester courses in astronomy. A practical introduction to Astronomy with an emphasis on critical thinking about our place in the universe This 8th Edition of Essential Cosmic Perspective provides readers without science backgrounds with a streamlined, cutting-edge introduction to astronomy. Built on a strong tradition of effective pedagogy and coverage, the text focuses on skill-building and includes group work exercises that require active participation. Dedicated to bringing an understanding of the universe, its scientific basis and its relevance to our lives, each chapter is written to specific learning goals that build an ideal learning path for readers. Aiming to foster a lifelong learning experience, the authors focus on key concepts, providing big picture context, promoting conceptual understanding, and preferring plain language to jargon. The 8th Edition incorporates the latest scientific updates in the field of astronomy and includes new features that reinforce critical thinking and excite readers' curiosity. New features such as Extraordinary Claims engage readers by presenting extraordinary claims about the universe and how they were either supported or debunked as scientists collected more evidence, reinforcing the process of science and how scientists think critically to evaluate them. My Cosmic Perspective establishes a personal connection between readers and the cosmos as they learn to think critically about the meaning of what they learn in their astronomy studies and beyond. Designed and written for a one semester course, this text shares many of the strengths of its more comprehensive best-selling sibling, The Cosmic Perspective. Also available with Mastering Astronomy Mastering (TM) Astronomy is the leading online homework, tutorial, and assessment system, designed to improve results by engaging students with vetted, interactive content. Instructors ensure students arrive ready to learn by assigning new Interactive Prelecture videos that give students exposure to key concepts before class and open classroom time for active learning or deeper discussions of topics. With Learning Catalytics (TM) instructors can expand on key concepts and encourage student engagement during lecture through questions answered individually or in pairs and groups. Students further master concepts through book-specific Mastering Astronomy assignments, which provide hints and answer-specific feedback that build problem-solving skills. Mastering Astronomy now features Virtual Astronomy Labs, providing assignable online laboratory activities that use Stellarium and Interactive Figures. Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; Mastering (TM) Astronomy does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with Mastering Astronomy, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and Mastering Astronomy, search for: 0134516338 / 9780134516332 Essential Cosmic Perspective Plus Mastering Astronomy with eText, The -- Access Card Package Package consists of: 0134509293 / 9780134509297 Mastering Astronomy with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Essential Cosmic Perspective, The0134446437 / 9780134446431 Essential Cosmic Perspective, The.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780134446431 20171227
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Cosmic perspective
- Includes index.
- 9780134446431 (paperback)
- 0134446437 (paperback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: