Handbook of research on teaching the English language arts
- edited by Diane Lapp and Douglas Fisher.
- Fourth edition.
- New York, NY ; Abingdon, Oxon : Routledge, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 487 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: The Language Arts Defined Diane Lapp and Douglas Fisher 1: Significant Literacy Research Informing English Language Arts Instruction Richard Beach and David O'Brien 2: Re-Positioning Race in English Language Arts Research Arlette Ingram Willis 3: Literacy Engagement and Motivation: Rationale, Research, Teaching and Assessment John T. Guthrie and Allan Wigfield 4: Reading Comprehension, Critical Understanding: Research-Based Practice Maureen McLaughlin and Glenn DeVoogd 5: Toward a New Appreciation of Speaking and Listening Cheryl McLean, Mastin Prinsloo, Jennifer Rowsell, and Scott Bulfin 6: Vocabulary Instruction: Research and Practice Susan Watts-Taffe, Peter Fisher, and Camille Blachowicz Chapter 7: Academic Vocabulary Instruction: Building Knowledge about the World and How Words Work
- J. Kenneth Logan and Michael J. Kieffer 8: Cultivating Students' Inner Language of Comprehending Through Classroom Conversation Jeffrey Zwiers 9: Word Study, Research to Practice: Spelling, Phonics, Meaning Shane Templeton and Donald Bear 10: Writing: Research and Practice Steven Graham 11: The Promise and Challenge of Language Arts Assessment in 21st Century Classrooms Peter Afflerbach and Jennifer Turner 12: Disciplinary Literacy Cynthia Shanahan and Timothy Shanahan 13: Diverse Learners in Linguistically Complex Classroom Research, Policy and Practice Arnetha Ball and Robert Jimenez 14: Repositioning Online Reading To A Central Location In The Language Arts Lisa Kervin, Jessica Mantei, and Donald J. Leu 15: Language Arts Learning in Multimodal and Multilingual Contexts Angie Zapata, Tasha Tropp Laman, and Amy Seely Flint 16: It is About Time for Comprehensive Language Arts Instruction (We've Tried Everything Else!) Patricia Cunningham and James Cunningham 17: Language Arts Instruction in Middle and High School Classrooms Allison Skerrett and Amber Warrington 18: I Know I Can!: Teacher Self-efficacy in the English Language Arts Classroom Megan Tschannen-Moran, Denise Johnson, and Bronwyn MacFarlane Epilogue and New Directions: P. David Pearson and Mary Lisette Lopez
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
Now in its fourth edition, the Handbook of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts - sponsored by the International Literacy Association and the National Council of Teachers of English - remains at the forefront in bringing together prominent scholars, researchers, and professional leaders to offer an integrated perspective on teaching the English language arts and a comprehensive overview of research in the field. Reflecting important developments since the publication of the third edition in 2010, this new edition is streamlined and completely restructured around "big ideas" in the field related to theoretical and research foundations, learners in context, and new literacies. A Companion Website extends and enhances the Handbook with a wealth of additional resources. The Handbook of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts, Fourth Edition: Addresses all of the language arts within a holistic perspective (speaking/listening, language, writing, reading). Is well grounded and balanced in theory and research while promoting validated practice. Features authors who are known for their expertise and who represent diversity in culture, years in the profession, and geographic location. Gives attention to special populations and instructional contexts. Includes new media literacies.Has the authority of a research handbook while remaining practical for students in masters and doctoral classes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- "Sponsored by The International Literacy Association and The National Council of Teachers of English."
- 9781138122260 (hardcover)
- 1138122262 (hardcover)
- 9781138122277 (paperback)
- 1138122270 (paperback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: