The Oxford handbook of interdisciplinarity
- Second edition / editor-in-chief, Robert Frodeman ; associate editors, Julie Thompson Klein and Roberto C.S. Pacheco.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxviii, 622 pages) : illustrations (black and white).
- Oxford handbooks online.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The Future of Interdisciplinarity: An Introduction to the 2nd Edition / Robert Frodeman
- Sidebar: Mathematics and Root Interdisciplinarity: Historical Perspectives / Erik Fisher, David Beltran-del-Rio
- Integrating the Social Sciences: Area Studies, Quantitative Methods, and Problem-Oriented Research / Craig Calhoun
- Interdisciplinary Arts / Tanya Augsburg
- Interdisciplining Humanities: A Historical Overview / Julie Thompson Klein, Robert Frodeman
- Digital Humanities: The Role of Interdisciplinary Humanities in the Information Age / Cathy N. Davidson, Danica Savonick
- A Field of Its Own: The Emergence of Science and Technology Studies / Sheila Jasanoff
- Cognitive Science / Paul Thagard
- Media and Communication / Adam Briggle, Clifford G. Christians
- Situating Feminist Studies / Ellen Messer-Davidow
- Humane Smart Cities / Eduardo M. Costa, Álvaro D. Oliveira
- Knowledge Formations: An Analytic Framework / Stephen Turner
- Interdisciplinarity in Ethics / Carl Mitcham, Nan Wang
- Sidebar: An Ethics of Interdisciplinary Research / Anne Balsamo
- Interdisciplinary Learning: A Cognitive-Epistemological Foundation / Veronica Boix Mansilla
- Comparing Methods for Cross-Disciplinary Research / Michael O'Rourke
- Systems Thinking / Sytse Strijbos
- Innovation, Interdisciplinarity, and Creative Destruction / Roberto C. S. Pacheco, Mauricio Manhães, Mauricio Uriona Maldonado
- Addressing Wicked Problems through Transdisciplinary Research / Christian Pohl, Bernhard Truffer, Gertrude Hirsch-Hadorn
- Sidebar: Managing Consensus in Inter- and Transdisciplinary Teams: Tasks and Expertise / Rico Defila, Antonietta di Giulio
- Understanding Cross-Disciplinary Team-Based Research: Concepts and Conceptual Models from the Science of Team Science / Kara Hall, Brooke A. Stipelman, Amanda L. Vogel, Daniel Stokols
- The Policy Sciences as a Transdisciplinary Approach for Policy Studies / Jason Vogel, David N. Cherney, Elizabeth A. Lowham
- Typologies of Interdisciplinarity: The Boundary Work of Definition / Julie Thompson Klein
- Sustainability Sciences: Political and Epistemological Approaches / Valdir Fernandes, Arlindo Philippi Jr.
- Religious Studies and Religious Practice / Sarah E. Fredericks
- Interdisciplinarity in the Fields of Law, Justice, and Criminology / Stuart Henry
- Health Research, Practice, and Education / Angus McMurtry, Kelly N. Kilgour, Shanta Rohse
- Sidebar: New Public Service through Coproduction / José Francisco Salm Jr., Roberto C. S. Pacheco
- Information Research / Carole L. Palmer, Katrina Fenlon
- Computation and Simulation / Johannes Lenhard
- Taming Wickedness by Interdisciplinary Design / Prasad Boradkar
- Interdisciplinarity and the Institutional Context of Knowledge in the American Research University / Michael M. Crow, William B. Dabars
- Peer Review, Interdisciplinarity, and Serendipity / J. Britt Holbrook
- Sidebar: The Need for Disciplines in the Modern Research University / Jerry A. Jacobs
- Interdisciplinarity in Research Evaluation / Katri Huutoniemi, Ismael Rafols
- The Challenge of Funding Interdisciplinary Research: A Look inside Public Research Funding Agencies / Thomas König, Michael E. Gorman
- Sidebar: Toward a New Discipline of Integration and Implementation Sciences / Gabriele Bammer
- Administering Interdisciplinary Programs / Karri Holley
- Interdisciplinarity and the Student Voice / Carl Gombrich, Michael Hogan
- Interdisciplinary Pedagogies in Higher Education / Debora DeZure
- Doctoral Student and Early Career Academic Perspectives on Interdisciplinarity / Sarah Dooling, Jessica K. Graybill, Vivek Shandas
- Facilitating Interdisciplinary Scholars / Stephanie Pfirman, Paula J. S. Martin
- Interdisciplinary Cases and Disciplinary Knowledge: Epistemic Challenges of Interdisciplinary Research / Wolfgang Krohn
- The Military-Industrial Route to Interdisciplinarity / Steve Fuller
- Physical Sciences / Robert P. Crease
- Interdisciplinarity and the Earth Sciences: Transcending Limitations of the Knowledge Paradigm / Victor R. Baker
- Interdisciplinarity in the Biological Sciences / Warren Burggren, Kent Chapman, Bradley B. Keller, Michael Monticino, John S. Torday.
Interdisciplinarity has become as important outside academia as within. Academics, policy makers, and the general public seek insights to help organize the vast amounts of knowledge being produced, both within research and at all levels of education. The second edition of The Oxford Handbook of Interdisciplinarity offers a thorough update of this major reference work, summarizing the latest advances within the field of inter- and transdisciplinarity. The collection is distinguished by its breadth of coverage, with chapters written by leading experts from multiple networks and organizations. The volume is edited by respected interdisciplinary scholars and supported by a prestigious advisory board to ensure the highest quality and breadth of coverage. The Oxford Handbook of Interdisciplinarity provides a synoptic overview of the current state of interdisciplinary research, education, administration and management, and of problem solving-knowledge that spans the disciplines and interdisciplinary fields. The volume negotiates the space between the academic community and society at large. Offering the most broad-based account of inter- and transdisciplinarity to date, its 47 chapters provide a snapshot of the state of knowledge integration as interdisciplinarity approaches its century mark. This second edition expands its coverage to discuss the emergence of new fields, the increase of interdisciplinary approaches within traditional disciplines and professions, new integrative approaches to education and training, the widening international presence of interdisciplinarity, its increased support in funding agencies and science-policy bodies, and the formation of several new international associations associated with interdisciplinarity. This reference book will be a valuable addition to academic libraries worldwide, important reading for members of the sciences, social sciences, and humanities engaged in interdisciplinary research and education, and helpful for administrators and policy makers seeking to improve the use of knowledge in society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Handbook of interdisciplinarity
- Oxford handbooks online
- Previous edition issued in print: 2010.
- 9780191838903 (ebook) : No price