Oriental silks in medieval Europe
- edited by Juliane von Fircks and Regula Schorta ; with contributions by Michael Alram [and 20 others].
- Riggisberg : Abegg-Stiftung, 2016.
- Physical description
- 377 pages : color illustrations ; 31 cm.
- Riggisberger Berichte ; 21.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 345-374).
- Introduction / Juliane von Fircks and Regula Schorta.
- Medieval chinese silk fabrics: technical versatily and puzzling terminology / Dieter Kuhn.
- The political and cultural impact of Sasanid Persia along the Silk Road / Michael Alram.
- Central Asian silks in the East and West during the second half of the first millennium / Regula Schorta.
- Textiles, textile pages, and textile iconography / Anna Bücheler.
- Comparing forms, contextualising functions: Arabic inscriptions on textiles of the Norman King William II and Fatimid Tiraz / Isabelle Dolezalek.
- Oriental silks at the time of the Mongols: patterns of trade and distribution in the West / David Jacoby.
- Elite Mongol dress of the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368): focusing on textiles woven with gold / Joyce Denney.
- Mongol splendour: a cloth-of-gold garment in the Abegg-Stiftung Collection / Caroline Vogt.
- The ritual dismemberment of a sacred textile: interpreting a christian embroidery found in a nomad burial of the thirteenth or fourteenth century on the Kalmyk Steppe / Zvezdana Dode.
- Colourful, but were they seen by european eye-witnesses?: observations on clothing of foreign peoples on medieval world maps / Felicitas Schmieder.
- "De opere curioso minuto": the vestments of Benedict XI in Perugia and the fourteenth-century perceptions of "panni tartarici" / Maria Ludovica Rosati.
- "Eyn Ander Brau Rok mit Swarczen Adelarn": reflections on the eagle dalmatic of the coronation regalia of the Holy Roman Empire and its Chinese silk damask / Katja Schmitz-von Ledebur.
- Perceptions of oriental silks at the court of the Bohemian kings during the fourteenth century / Evelin Wetter.
- Beyond foreign: textiles from the Castilian royal tombs in Santa María de la Huelgas in Burgos / Kristin Böse.
- Cloth of gold from West Asia in a late medieval European context: the Abu Sa'id textile in Vienna : princely funeral, and cultural transfer / Markus Ritter.
- The cloth-of-gold chasuble of the Chapter of St. Aldegonde in Maubeuge / Nicole Cartier.
- Islamic striped brocades in Europe: the "Heinrichsgewänder" in Regensburg from a transcultural perspective / Juliane von Fircks.
- Striped golden brocades with Arabic inscriptions in the Textile Treasure of St. Mary's Church in Danzig/Gdańsk / Birgitt Borkopp-Restle.
- A head start through technology: early Oriental velvets and the West / Michael Peter.
- The Ottoman Sultans' penchant for Italian luxury textiles / Louise W Mackie.
- Textiles and the language of diplomacy: Venice and Ottoman Turkey / Lisa Monnas.
- "This volume assembles the papers presented during a colloquium held at the Abegg-Stiftung in 2011. It is dedicated to elaborately patterned, often gold-enriched silks from the Middle East, Central Asia or China that can be found in European church treasuries and museum collections. The contributions highlight single achievements concerning technology, pattern evolution, and processing of the silks in view of the multifaceted exchange between East and West" -- Provided by publisher.
- Textile fabrics, Medieval > Europe > History > Congresses.
- Textile fabrics, Medieval > Asia > History > Congresses.
- Textile fabrics > Europe > History > Congresses.
- Textile fabrics > Asia > History > Congresses.
- Silk > Europe > History > To 1500 > Congresses.
- Silk industry > Asia > History > Congresses.
- East and West > History > Congresses.
- Clothing and dress, Medieval > Social aspects > Congresses.
- Publication date
- Riggisberger Berichte ; 21
- 9783905014624 (pbk.)
- 3905014629 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: