Never alone, except for now : art, networks, populations
- Kris Cohen.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- viii, 196 pages, 16 pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 23 cm
- Cohen, Kris, 1972- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 139-187) and index.
- Acknowledgments vii Introduction 1 1. Group Form 15 2. Between Populations and Publics 29 3. Broken Genres 41 4. Toneless 79 5. Search Engine Subjectivities 105 Appendix 135 Notes 139 Selected Bibliography 179 Index 189.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780822369400 20171211
- Publisher's Summary
- How is it that one can be connected to a vast worldwide network of other people and places via digital technologies and yet also be completely alone? Kris Cohen tackles this philosophical question in Never Alone, Except for Now by exploring how contemporary technologies are changing group formations and affiliations within social life. He identifies a new form of collectivity that exists between publics, which are built through conscious acts, and populations, which are automatically constructed through the collection of Big Data. Finding traditional liberal concepts of the public sphere and neoliberal ideas of populations inadequate on their own to examine these new forms of sociality, Cohen places familiar features of the web-such as emoticons, trolling, and search engines-in conversation with artworks by Felix Gonzalez-Torres, William Gibson, Sharon Hayes, and Thomson & Craighead to more precisely articulate the affective and aesthetic experiences of living between publics and populations. This liminal experience-caught between existing as a set of data points and as individuals newly empowered to create their own online communities-explains, Cohen contends, how one is simultaneously alone and connected in ways never before possible.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780822369400 20171211
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Available in another form
- Online version: Cohen, Kris, 1972- author. Never alone, except for now Durham : Duke University Press, 2017 ( 9780822372509 )
- 9780822369257 hardcover alkaline paper
- 0822369257 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9780822369400 paperback alkaline paper
- 0822369400 paperback alkaline paper
Browse related items
Start at call number: