The Palgrave international handbook on adult and lifelong education and learning
- Marcella Milana, Sue Webb, John Holford, Richard Waller, Peter Jarvis, editor.
- London : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 1061 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC5215 .P35 2018||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Adult and Lifelong Education and Learning-- Marcella Milana, Susan Webb, John Holford, Richard Waller & Peter Jarvis.- PART I: THINKING AND RETHINKING THE FIELD.- Introduction: Thinking and Rethinking the Field-- Marcella Milana, Susan Webb, John Holford, Richard Waller & Peter Jarvis.- THEORETICAL LANDSCAPES.- Contemporary Adult and Lifelong Education and Learning: An Epistemological Analysis-- Richard G. Bagnall & Steven Hodge.- Exercising Clarity with Transformative Learning Theory-- Chad Hoggan.- Critical Adult Education Theory: Traditions and Influence-- Stephen Brookfield.- From Radical Adult Education to Social Movement Learning-- John D. Holst.- Adult Learning and Communicative Rationality-- Palle Rasmussen.- GENERATIVE PATHWAYS.- Adult Education and the `Learning' Turn-- Terri Seddon.- Limit Situations: Adult Education and Critical Awareness Raising-- Danny Wildemeersch.- Revisiting Paulo Freire: Adult Education for Emancipation-- Emilio Lucio-Villegas.- Learning and Experience: A Psycho-societal Approach-- Henning Salling Olsen.- Complexity, Adult Biographies and Co-operative Transformation-- Laura Formenti.- CONCEPTUAL SITES.- Economics and the Political Economy of Adult Education-- Richard Desjardins.- The Critical Turn in Human Resources Development-- Tonette S. Rocco, Sunny L. Munn & Joshua C. Collins.- Learning and Identity Development at Work-- Alan Brown & Jenny Bimrose.- Lifelong Learning as an Emancipation Process: A Capability Approach-- Pepka Boyadjieva & Petya Ilieva-Trichkova.- Knowledge Production as Organizational Learning in Danish Universities-- Bente Elkjaer.- PART II: SCALE AND MOVEMENT.- Introduction: Scale and Movement-- Marcella Milana, Susan Webb, John Holford, Richard Waller & Peter Jarvis.- GLOBAL.- Assembling Literacy as Global: The Danger of a Single Story-- Camilla Addey.- Conceptualizing Participation in Adult Learning and Education: Equity Issues-- Kjell Rubenson.- Participation in Adult Literacy Programmes and Social Injustices-- Lyn Tett.- Lifelong Learning Policy Discourses of International Organizations since 2000: A Kaleidoscope or Merely Fragments?-- Moosung Lee & Shazia K. Jan.- Transformative Sustainability Education: From Sustainababble to a Civilization Leap-- Elizabeth A. Lange.- Research Patterns in Comparative and Global Policy Studies on Adult Education-- Marcella Milana.- REGIONAL.- Latin America: Adult and Popular Education in Dialogue-- Danilo R. Streck & Cheron Zanini Moretti.- Europe: Comparing Lifelong Learning Systems-- Eric Verdier.- The Mediterranean: Adult Education Landmarks-- Peter Mayo.- The Southern African Development Community: Challenges and Prospects in Lifelong Learning-- Idowu Biao & Tonic Maruatona.- NATIONAL.- Argentina: The Debate between Lifelong and Popular Education in Adult Education-- Lidia Mercedes Rodriguez.- Ghana: The Life and Death of Adult Education and Implications for Current Policy-- Michael Tagoe.- Palestine: Philosophical and Methodological Dilemmas for Adult Education-- Rabab Tamish.- China: Adult Education and Learning Initiatives from Mao to Now-- Roger Boshier.- Singapore: Trends and Directions in Lifelong Learning-- Prem Kumar.- Timor-Leste: Adult Literacy, Popular Education and Post-Conflict Peace-Building-- Robert Boughton.- TRANSIENCE.- Transnational Migration, Everyday Pedagogies and Cultural De-stabilization-- Linda Morrice.- Researching Transnational Migration and Lifelong Learning-- Shibao Guo.- Reconfiguring the Learning Space: Skilled Immigrants in Canada-- Hongxia Shan.- Non-Permanent Workers and their Learning in a Developmental State-- Sahara Sadik.- The Global Spread of the Nordic Folk High School Idea-- Henrik Nordvall.- PART III: CONTEXTS, PEOPLE AND PRACTICES.- Introduction: Context, People and Practices-- Marcella Milana, Susan Webb, John Holford, Richard Waller & Peter Jarvis.- ORGANISATIONS.- Adult Education Learned Societies: Professionalism and Publications-- Susan Webb.- Adult Education Research: Publication Strategies and Collegial Recognition-- Andreas Fejes & Erik Nylander.- Popular Universities: Their Hidden Functions and Contributions-- Nelly P. Stromquist & Guillermo Lozano.- The Ideals and Practices of Citizenship in Nordic Study Circles-- Annika Turunen.- South African University Engagement: Lifelong Learning and `Socially Robust' Knowledge-- Julia Preece.- LEARNERS.- Learning in Later Life: A Critical Perspective -- Brian Findsen.- Lifelong Learning for Older Adults: Culture and Confucianism-- Siu Ling Maureen Tam.- Disabilities and Adult and Lifelong Education-- Jovita M. Ross-Gordon.- Queering Transformative Learning: The Unfolding of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Ally Lives (LGBTQIA)-- Matthew E. Eichler & Racidon P. Bernarte.- TECHNOLOGIES, OBJECTS & ARTEFACTS.- Technologies for Adult and Lifelong Education-- Seng Chee Tan.- The Mainstreaming of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)-- Sarah Speight.- Lifelong Learning for Africa's Older Adults: The Role of Open Educational Resources and Indigenous Learning-- Rebecca Nthogo Lekoko & Keitseope Nthomang.- Popular Culture, Adult Learning and Identity Development-- Robin Redmon Wright.- Popular Fictions as Critical Adult Education-- Christine Jarvis.- Creativity, the Arts, and Transformative Learning-- Patricia Gouthro.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137557827 20171211
- Publisher's Summary
- This Handbook provides a wide-ranging frame of reference for researching adult and lifelong education and learning. With contributions from scores of established and newer scholars from six continents, the volume covers a diverse range of geopolitical and social territories across the world. Drawing on the multiple heritages that underpin research on education and learning in adulthood, this Handbook addresses the inner tensions between adult education, adult learning, lifelong education, and lifelong learning, by using current research and theorizations from disciplinary backgrounds, including philosophy, psychology, biology and neuroscience, anthropology, sociology, history, political science, and economics. It provides an explicit discussion of the differences and tensions between adult and lifelong education and learning, and locates these in different policy and historical contexts, theories and practices. It explores a variety of discipline-based theoretical perspectives, and highlights how these have influenced, and been influenced by, research in the education and learning of adults. The Handbook also explores the inevitable frictions and dilemmas these present, and carefully examines the role of the international dimension in researching education and learning in formal, non-formal and informal contexts, beyond traditional schooling. This state-of-the-art, comprehensive Handbook is the first of its kind to explore adult education, lifelong education and lifelong learning fully as distinct activities on an international scale. It will be an indispensable reference resource for students of education at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and for academic researchers, professionals and policy-makers concerned with adult and community education, further and vocational education, or work-based training and human resource development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137557827 20171211
- Adult education.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
Browse related items
Start at call number: