Agribusiness and the neoliberal food system in Brazil : frontiers and fissures of agro-neoliberalism
- Antonio Augusto Rossotto Ioris.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 218 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Earthscan food and agriculture.
- Ioris, Antonio Augusto Rossotto, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface * The Political Ecology of Agri-Food Systems * Realising Agro-neoliberalism in Brazil * Push and Hold the Agribusiness Frontier * The Rent of Agribusiness * Displacement, Replacement and Misplacement * Poverty in Rich Amazonian Ecosystems * Conclusions: Fields of Empty Grains.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138744660 20171121
- Publisher's Summary
- Due to new production areas and persistent productivity gains, Brazil has consolidated its position as a global leader and even as a 'model' of commercial, integrated crop production. The country is now seen as an agricultural powerhouse that has a lot to offer in terms of reducing the prospect of a looming, increasingly global, food crisis. Agribusiness and the Neoliberal Food System in Brazil focuses on the intensification of Brazilian agribusiness as a privileged entry point into the politicised geography of globalised agri-food. Drawing on rich empirical analysis based around three fieldwork campaigns in the State of Mato Grosso, the book examines the connections between farming, markets and the apparatus of the state. The importance of agribusiness expansion within the wider politico-economic context of Brazilian neoliberalism is demonstrated, thus drawing broader conclusions about the main trends of agribusiness in the world today and providing recommendations for future research. This book will be of great interest to students and scholars of agribusiness, neoliberalism and global food production, as well as those interested in Brazil and Latin America more generally.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781138744660 20171121
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Earthscan food and agriculture
- "Earthscan from Routledge."
- 9781138744660 hardback
- 1138744662 hardback
- 9781315180878 electronic book
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: