A staff guide to addressing disruptive and dangerous behavior on campus
- Brian Van Brunt and Amy Murphy.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 261 pages ; 23 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2345 .V37 2018||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 252-255) and index.
- Contents Preface Part I: Foundations and Theory
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Defining Disruptive and Dangerous Behavior
- Chapter 2: Understanding Student Backgrounds and Experiences
- Chapter 3: Calming the Initial Crisis
- Chapter 4: Motivating and Inspiring Change
- Chapter 5: Managing Ongoing Behaviors
- Chapter 6: The Campus BIT, Threat Assessment, Dangerousness Part II: Practical Application
- Chapter 7: Advice for Residential Life Staff
- Chapter 8: Advice for Academic Advisors
- Chapter 9: Advice for Front Office Staff
- Chapter 10: Advice for Case Management Staff
- Chapter 11: Advice for Student Activities Staff
- Chapter 12: Campus-Wide Staff Training and Processes
- Chapter 13: Conclusion Afterword: A Little Dignity Please... Joseph Allen Appendix A: Scenario-Based RA Training Appendix B: Reality Therapy WDEP Worksheet References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
There is an increasing population of students coming to college who challenge and frustrate staff. Students struggle with complex mental health problems, environmental stress, anger difficulties, and the potential for explosively acting out with threats or violence. This practical guide provides college and university staff with direction when working with these students in a variety of college environments, including community colleges, four-year institutions, and online learning environments. Coverage includes how to identify and assess students who are at risk, calm and de-escalate a crisis, motivate and inspire change, and how to manage and maintain change in a positive direction over time. Grounded in theory and research, this book offers practical and tangible advice and guidance to make it easier to assist students in need.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781138631939 (hardback)
- 1138631930 (hardback)
- 9781138631946 (pbk.)
- 1138631949 (pbk.)
- 9781315208534 (ebook)
- 9781351803922 (mobi/kindle)
Browse related items
Start at call number: