Resistance to the Spanish-American and Philippine wars : anti-imperialism and the role of the press, 1895-1902
- Charles Quince.
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 204 pages ; 23 cm
- Quince, Charles, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 171-195) and index.
- In the shadow of the past: the development of expansionist and anti-expansionist sentiments
- Group of many shades: the anti-anti-imperialists
- The Cuban rebellion and American politics, 1895/1896
- Critical dilemma in Spanish/American relations
- Sliding toward war
- Naval capabilities
- Land warfare
- The sentiments of the European press
- Voices of concern: the business community and the Spanish/American War
- A war without benefits
- Shift in public opinion
- Dissent, alleged war crimes and the Philippines War.
Following the sinking of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in 1898, pro-war arguments prevailed in the American press, influencing public opinion in favor of engaging in the Spanish-American War-or so goes the popular version of events. Yet there was a substantial anti-imperialist segment of the public that tried to halt the advance towards conflict. Drawing on a range of contemporary sources, the author analyzes the anti-war arguments that preceded the Spanish-American War and continued during the war in the Philippines. News articles, letters to editors, opinion pieces and the yellow journalism of the day show how anti-war groups ultimately failed in their political goal to prevent a war with Spain.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Spanish-American War, 1898 > United States > Public opinion.
- Spanish-American War, 1898 > Press coverage > United States.
- Imperialism > History > 19th century > Public opinion.
- Hawaii > Annexation to the United States > Public opinion.
- Philippines > History > Philippine American War, 1899-1902 > Public opinion.
- United States > Territorial expansion > Public opinion.
- United States > Foreign relations > 1865-1921 > Public opinion.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781476669748 (paperback alkaline paper)
- 1476669740 (paperback alkaline paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: