Geometry and complexity theory
- J.M. Landsberg (Texas A&M University).
- Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 339 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Cambridge studies in advanced mathematics ; 169.
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA267.7 .L35 2017||Unknown|
- Landsberg, J. M., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 321-333) and index.
- 1. Introduction-- 2. The complexity of matrix multiplication I-- 3. The complexity of matrix multiplication II-- 4. The complexity of matrix multiplication III-- 5. The complexity of matrix multiplication IV-- 6. Valiant's hypothesis I-- 7. Valiant's hypothesis II-- 8. Representation theory and its uses in complexity theory-- 9. The Chow variety of products of linear forms-- 10. Topics using additional algebraic geometry.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107199231 20171106
- Publisher's Summary
- Two central problems in computer science are P vs NP and the complexity of matrix multiplication. The first is also a leading candidate for the greatest unsolved problem in mathematics. The second is of enormous practical and theoretical importance. Algebraic geometry and representation theory provide fertile ground for advancing work on these problems and others in complexity. This introduction to algebraic complexity theory for graduate students and researchers in computer science and mathematics features concrete examples that demonstrate the application of geometric techniques to real world problems. Written by a noted expert in the field, it offers numerous open questions to motivate future research. Complexity theory has rejuvenated classical geometric questions and brought different areas of mathematics together in new ways. This book will show the beautiful, interesting, and important questions that have arisen as a result.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107199231 20171106
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Cambridge studies in advanced mathematics ; 169
- 9781107199231 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1107199239 (hardback : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: