The first mapping of America : the general survey of British North America
- Alexander Johnson.
- London ; New York : I.B. Tauris, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 331 pages, 16 pages of plates : illustrations, maps (some color) ; 26 cm.
- Tauris historical geography series ; 10.
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|GA401 .J64 2017||In-library use|
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
|GA401 .J64 2017||Unknown|
- Johnson, Alexander, 1977- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 265-321) and index.
- Part I. On the tide of the Enlightenment
- Part II. The antecedents and genesis of the General Survey
- Part III. Mapping 'infant colonies' : the commencement of the General Survey
- Part IV. 'Closing the net' : the General Survey during the administration of the Earl of Hillsborough
- Part V. 'A new spring to our future endeavors' : the General Survery under the administration of the Earl of Dartmouth
- Part VI. The General Survey and the militarisation of civilian cartography
- Part VII. Conclusion and legacy.
The First Mapping of America tells the story of the General Survey. At the heart of the story lie the remarkable maps and the men who made them - the commanding and highly professional Samuel Holland, Surveyor-General in the North, and the brilliant but mercurial William Gerard De Brahm, Surveyor-General in the South. Battling both physical and political obstacles, Holland and De Brahm sought to establish their place in the firmament of the British hierarchy. Yet the reality in which they had to operate was largely controlled from afar, by Crown administrators in London and the colonies and by wealthy speculators, whose approval or opposition could make or break the best laid plans as they sought to use the Survey for their own ends.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Cartography > North America > History > 18th century.
- Cartography > United States > History > 18th century.
- Cartography > Canada > History > 18th century.
- North America > Maps > History > 18th century.
- United States > Maps > History > 18th century.
- Canada > Maps > History > 18th century.
- North America > Historical geography.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- General survey of British North America
- Tauris historical geography series ; 10
- 9781780764429 (hbk.)
- 1780764421 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: