A companion to Mill
- edited by Christopher Macleod and Dale E. Miller.
- Southern Gate, Chinhester, West Sussex, UK : Wiley Blackwell, 2017.
- Physical description
- xix, 604 pages ; 25 cm.
- Blackwell companions to philosophy ; 66.
At the library
Philosophy Library (Tanner)
|B72 .B565 1991 V.66||In-library use|
- Macleod, Christopher, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Mill's Mind: A Biographical Sketch
- 2. Mill's Epiphanies / Richard V. Reeves
- 3. The Afterlife of John Stuart Mill, 1874-1879 / Elijah Millgram
- 4. Mill's Autobiography as Literature / David Stack
- 5. Mill and the Classics / Samuel Clark
- 6. Roots of Mill's Radicalism / Robert Devigne
- 7. British Critics of Utilitarianism / Peter Niesen
- 8. Harriet Taylor Mill / Bruce Kinzer
- 9. The French Influence / Helen McCabe
- 10. Psychology, Associationism, and Ethology / Vincent Guillin
- 11. Mill on Race and Gender / Terence Ball
- 12. Mill on Logic / C.L. Ten
- 13. Mill's Epistemology / David Godden
- 14. Mill's Philosophy of Language / Richard Fumerton
- 15. Mill on Metaphysics / Frederick Kroon
- 16. Mill's Philosophy of Science / Nicholas Capaldi
- 17. Mill's Aesthetics / Aaron D. Cobb
- 18. Mill on History^^
- Antis Loizides
- 19. Mill's Philosophy of Religion / Christopher Macleod
- 20. Mill's Art of Life / Lou J. Matz
- 21. Mill's Conception of Happiness / Guy Fletcher
- 22. The Proof / Ben Saunders
- 23. Mill on Utilitarian Sanctions / Henry R. West
- 24. Mill's Moral Standard / Jonathan Riley
- 25. Mill on Justice and Rights / Ben Eggleston
- 26. Mill and Virtue / David O. Brink
- 27. The Harm Principle / Brian McElwee
- 28. Mill on Individuality / D.G. Brown
- 29. Mill on Freedom of Speech / Wendy Donner
- 30. Mill on Democracy Revisited / Daniel Jacobson
- 31. Mill on the Family / Georgios Varouxakis
- 32. Mill's Normative Economics / Dale E. Miller
- 33. Mill on Education and Schooling / Gerald Gaus
- 34. Mill on Colonialism / Graham Finlay
- 35. Mill, German Idealism, and the Analytic/Continental Divide / Don A. Habibi
- 36. Mill and Modern Utilitarianism^^
- John Skorupski
- 37. Mill and Modern Liberalism / William H. Shaw.
- This Companion offers a state-of-the-art survey of the work of John Stuart Mill, one which covers the historical influences on Mill, his, theoretical, moral, and social philosophy and his relation to contemporary movements. Its contributors include both senior scholars with established expertise in Mill's thought and new emerging interpreters. Each essay acts as a "go-to" resource for those seeking to understand a particular aspect of Mill's thought or to familiarize themselves with the contours of a debate within the scholarship.
- The Companion is a key reference on Mill's theory of liberty and utilitarianism, but also surveys lesser-known aspects of his work, such as his epistemology, metaphysics, and philosophy of language. The volume is divided into six sections which together explore Mill's life and scholarly career. Following an examination of Mill's life-including his own autobiographical reflections and the emergence of his immediate posthumous reputation-the volume brings together an accessible and comprehensive summary of the various influences on Mill's work, and offers an account of the foundations of his philosophy. Later essays tackle issues from Mill's moral and social philosophy, and the collection concludes with a treatment of the broader aspects of Mill's thought, tracing his relation to major movements in philosophy.
- Christopher Macleod is Lecturer in Political Philosophy at the University of Lancaster. His current research focuses on Mill's theoretical philosophy and his theory of normativity.
- Dale E. Miller is Professor of Philosophy at Old Dominion University in the US. --Book Jacket.
- Publication date
- Blackwell companions to philosophy ; 66
- 9781118736524 (cloth)
- 1118736524 (cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: