Inquiring scientists, inquiring readers in middle school : using nonfiction to promote science literacy grades 6-8
- Terry Shiverdecker and Jessica Fries-Gaither.
- Arlington, Virginia : NTSA press, National Science Teachers Association, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vii, 376 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1585.3 .S57 2017||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I: Integrating science and literacy instruction
- Part II: The inquiry units.
- Publisher's Summary
- Great news for multitasking middle school teachers: Science educators Terry Shiverdecker and Jessica Fries-Gaither can help you blend inquiry-based science and literacy instruction to support student learning and maximize your time. Several unique features make Inquiring Scientists, Inquiring Readers in Middle School a valuable resource:* Lessons integrate all aspects of literacy-reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing. The texts are relevant nonfiction, including trade books, newspaper and magazine articles, online material, infographics, and even videos.* A learning-cycle framework helps students deepen their understanding with data collection and analysis before reading about a concept.* Ten investigations support current standards and encompass life, physical, and Earth and space sciences. Units range from "Chemistry, Toys, and Accidental Inventions" to "Thermal Energy: An Ice Cube's Kryptonite!"* The authors have made sure the book is teacher-friendly. Each unit comes with scientific background, a list of common misconceptions, an annotated text list, safety considerations, differentiation strategies, reproducible student pages, and assessments.This middle school resource is a follow-up to the authors' award-winning Inquiring Scientists, Inquiring Readers for grades 3-5, which one reviewer called "very thorough, and any science teacher's dream to read. " The book will change the way you think about engaging your students in science and literacy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781681400037 20171121
- Science > Study and teaching (Middle school) > United States.
- Science > Methodology > Study and teaching (Middle school)
- Language arts (Middle school) > United States.
- English language > Composition and exercises > Study and teaching (Middle school)
- Report writing > Study and teaching (Middle school)
- Inquiry-based learning.
- Interdisciplinary approach in education.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Available in another form
- Online version: Shiverdecker, Terry, 1956- Inquiring scientists, inquiring readers in middle school. Arlington, VA : National Science Teachers Association,  ( 9781681400044 )
- 9781681400037 (paperback)
- 1681400030 (paperback)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: