Kingdom of earth : a one act play
- by Tennessee Williams.
- [Orange, MA] : Amy Borezo, publisher, 2017.
- Physical description
- 1 volume (8 unnumbered leaves, 32 unnumbered pages) : illustrations (paste papers) ; 33 x 32 cm in box 34 x 34 cm
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|(no call number)||In process|
- Borezo, Amy.
- Included Work
- Williams, Tennessee, 1911-1983. Kingdom of Earth.
- Publication date
- "In the introductory notes to Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie, he describes the concept of a 'plastic theater'--a theater that is not simply a realistic rendering, but is open to the use of expressive devices in order to get closer to the truth of lived experience. In creating a contemporary fine press edition of Kingdom of Earth, a one act play by Williams, I am using the book form to capture the concept of a 'plastic theater'....The size and structure of the book allows for an immersive experience, with abstract imagery evoking water, floods, and breached levees, surrounding and engulfing the viewer. The action of the play occurs in the center of page spreads, with imagery stretching out on either side. The imagery is created through the technique of paste paper making, a traditional handmade design process. The only colors mentioned in the play are grey and red. Red is used to symbolize the main female character, Myrtle, and female sexuality, but also blood and death. On each text page throughout the edition, the color red is used as a rising tide of graphic imagery that creeps up the page as the play progresses, just as the flood water rises through the course of the play"--Artist's statement from Vamp and Tramp website.
- The text for Kingdom of Earth is from The Magic Tower and Other One-Acts, copyright ©1967 by the University of the South. Reprinted by permission of New Directions Publishing Corp.; see colophon.
- Text printed on narrow leaves (32 x 14 cm) and bound in four gatherings of four leaves each between leaves  and ;  and ;  and ; and  and , to create the effect of having the action of the play occur in the center of the page spreads, immersed in the imagery on either side.
- "This edition is printed on Reich Aveo paper made from 90% sugarcane stalks and 10% linen/hemp. Printing from photopolymer plates made by Boxcar Press on a Challenge 15MP letterpress. Text set in Futura and Deepdene, italics in Arno Pro. Editioned paste papers created by Amy Borezo. Over nine hundred handmade paste papers were created for this edition. Printed and bound in Orange, MA"--Colophon.
- Edition of 45.
- Bound in red silk boards, printed in black; paste paper endpapers; in gray cloth clamshell case, lined with gray paste papers; red silk spine label with title stamped in black.