University community engagement and lifelong learning : the porous university
- Julia Preece.
- Cham, Switzerland : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 214 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC238.4 .A35 P74 2017||Unknown|
- Preece, Julia, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 185-207) and index.
- Chapter 1. Background Context for Universities and Community Engagement in Africa.- Chapter 2. A Capabilities and Asset-Based Development Approach to Community Engagement.- Chapter 3. Community Engagement and its Evolving Terminology.- Chapter 4. Community Engagement through Service Learning.- Chapter 5. Learning Cities as Community Engagement.- Chapter 6. Two Case Examples of Community Engagement.- Chapter 7. The Porous University in Action.- Chapter 8. Implications of the Porous University for Policy and Practice.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783319561622 20171017
- Publisher's Summary
- This book offers a conceptual re-think of how university community engagement functions as a lifelong learning resource for communities. While having a specific focus on the South African context, it has important implications for other universities which are concerned with their communities, and makes a compelling argument for the university as a public good, in spite of current trends towards marketization and commodification of higher education. The book draws on a theoretical framework of capabilities, asset-based community development, and the adult learning concept of dialogue, to propose a model whereby the boundary walls of the university become metaphorically `porous', so that community members feel free to interact with the university as equal members of society. A historical outline of African universities is provided, as well as an exploration of the evolution of terms for community engagement, service learning and learning cities; and an examination of the policy and practice implications for the ideological model of a porous university.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783319561622 20171017
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9783319561639 eBook
Browse related items
Start at call number: