Album amicorum of Lieutenant Hugo Visconti
- Germany, 1836-1840
- Physical description
- 1 album ; 15 x 24 cm
At the library
Collections are moving, which may affect access. Request materials as early as possible. Maximum 5 items per day. Contact email@example.com for information about access.
|M2449 FLAT BOX 1||In-library use|
- Visconti, Hugo.
- Album of a member of the military, probably of Lieutenant Hugo Visconti "in the 47th Lin (ien) Infanterie Regimente", named on the finely calligraphed sheet of paper used here as the title. The contributors are almost exclusively women, including his sister, who asks God that he should not make her brother happy in the "distance", but "soon lead back to our fatherland and into the arms" of his "sister Hermine" , dated Karlsruhe, March 13, 1836. The attached water-color plan, apparently cut from a larger sheet, shows the floor plan of the Karlsruhe Cadet Institute and its green spaces opposite the Botanical Garden. This section of the plan bears the year 1826. Visconti probably came from Karlsruhe, was trained at this institute and was transferred to Padua in 1836. In the period up to 1840 he must have done military service in Croatia. He seems to have made various female acquaintances, some of which have been immortalized in his album. Only one sheet comes from the military context, with an entry and pen drawing showing a maneuver with cavalrymen and a closed infantry line. [From dealer description]
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Title devised by cataloger
- Oblong 8vo. 18 loose leaves in yellow folder, previously housed in contemporary blind-stamped calf box with faux gilt edges and remains of metal clasp. Consisting of ‘title’, 12 handwritten entries, and 5 pencil or ink sketches, all dated 1836-1840.
- Open for research. Note that material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use
- Cite as
- Album amicorum of Lieutenant Hugo Visconti (M2449). Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California
- Material in the public domain does not have any restrictions on use
- Purchase, 2017. Accession 2019-002
Browse related items
Start at call number: